Friday, August 23, 2019

Best-Ever Zucchini Bread


This blog has been a passionate hobby, a creative outlet, an excuse to justify the acquisition of cooking and entertaining 'things', and, most importantly, the thing that pushes me further along on my culinary journey. It has of yet never been a business opportunity or the source of my livelihood. A decision I have fleeting moments of regretting. But whether creating my own recipes or making (and tweaking) recipes created by others, I have always (at least I hope I have) given credit where credit is due. Even if a recipe is a mash-up of dozens or even hundreds of reviewed recipes and essentially a 'new' recipe, I frequently cite who was my inspirational source. In my world it's always been the right thing to do. Many, many years ago I commented on a (now very famous) blogger's post on how much I too loved the exact version of a beloved food magazine's recipe. Maybe I should have never called someone out their claim of creating the recipe, maybe that was petty or even a bit snarky. Or maybe not. However after that, I decided I needed to worry only about my own integrity. I had better things to do than becoming the only member of the non-paying food blogging police force. Where am I going with all of this? Well, you see the Best-Ever Zucchini Bread recipe here is an ever so slightly nuanced version of Deb Perelman's (SmittenKitchen) Ultimate Zucchini Bread recipe. Without her recipe, I may or may not have ever told you the other Zucchini Bread recipe posted six years ago on this blog isn't any where near as good as this one. And oh, by the way, Deb just happens to be one of those food bloggers who sets a pretty high integrity bar.


So is it still possible for me to add anything to the Zucchini Bread recipe making world? I think there is. 


Besides, I am secretly hoping that someday Zucchini Bread will be one of those quick breads as beloved and coveted as Banana Bread, Pumpkin Bread, or even Cranberry Nut Bread. No one ever said I wasn't a bit of a dreamer.


In the quick bread world size really does matter. Those smaller Zucchini Breads you may have been making or receiving as a gift, can't compete with the huge loaves of those other more famous breads we happily and willingly pay $4.00 a slice for at a bakery or coffee shop. So, from henceforth, all of your Zucchini Breads need to be shown the respect they deserve. A 9" x 5" pan or even a 10" x 4" pan should be the only ones you ever use to make Zucchini Bread in again. Okay? Pinky swear promise?


Every year there are gardens across the country where zucchini grow to the size of small bunnies. Those are not the zucchini you want to use when making this Best-Ever Zucchini Bread. Save those for making zoodles with your vegetable spiralizer. Look for the smaller ones for zucchini bread making. The smaller ones are slightly more dense and don't hold as much moisture as the larger ones.

There are so many differences between the first zucchini bread posted to the blog and this one, I am only going to say this one has less sugar in it. But it uses two kinds of sugar: granulated and dark brown sugar. Have you ever known dark brown sugar to not give better flavor to pretty much everything? (Thank you Deb Perelman providing one of the missing Zucchini Bread recipe missing links!). But I am going to spend a bit of time calling out some of the relatively minor changes I made between Deb's recipe and this one. Instead of using safflower oil, I used canola oil. Both are neutral oils, but I generally don't buy safflower oil so I went with canola oil. Instead of fine sea salt or table salt, I used kosher salt. I never buy table salt. I used Turbinado sugar, but think Demerara sugar or a coarse sanding sugar would also work well in giving the top crust a really great crunch. I used unbleached all-purpose flour instead of regular all-purpose flour. There may be only subtle differences between the two, but I have recently been an unbleached all-purpose convert. I am certain regular all-purpose flour would work just fine. So that's it. Those are my teeny tiny changes. Hey maybe Deb and I should have a Zucchini Bread throw down. Her recipe versus her recipe with itsy bitsy changes.


How much is two cups of grated zucchini really? That would depend on if you press it down in somewhat firmly packed or moderately packed? Because we all have a different interpretation of what 'firmly packed' means, particularly when it comes to grated zucchini, I would encourage you to weigh it. Yes, this relatively hassle free quick bread recipe has one tiny hassle. But just one. 


What is not to love about a one bowl quick recipe where you mix everything with a fork? 


For some reason I have almost always baked my quick breads in a parchment paper lined baking pan. Which means I have been missing out on a slice with four, not just one, crisp edges. Non-stick baking pans and vegetable oil spray (or butter) will give your Zucchini Bread that bakery look finish (and taste!). 

Bake in a preheated 350 degree (F) oven for 55-60 minutes, then let the bread cool completely in the baking pan. Better yet, let the bread cool overnight. Covering it only with a light cloth (you don't want that crisp top to get soggy) after it is completely cooled. Why wait almost 24 hours to slice it up? Like a great wine, the taste of zucchini bread improves exponentially with time. Even if that means only 24 hours. If you don't believe me. Go ahead. Have a taste test. Eat a piece the first day, then eat a piece the second day. I already know what your answer will be.


Could you add chocolate chips or toasted walnuts in this Zucchini Bread? Yes, you could. Your baking time may need to be adjusted. Could you serve thickly cut one inch slices plain? yes, you could. But a schmear of mascarpone cheese would make for one of those epic zucchini bread eating moments. You could also spread it with some softened, sweetened, or whipped cream cheese, Nutella, or even unsalted butter topped with flakes of sea salt. Any one of those choices might give you your personal epic zucchini bread eating moment. Which way you like to eat your Zucchini Bread really doesn't matter. What matters most is taking advantage of zucchini season and making as many loaves as possible. Some for you, some to give away.

Don't forget, when it comes to Zucchini Bread size matters. And bigger is definitely better. Big loaves, thick slices. Consider this a non-negotiable part of the Zucchini Bread making and eating experience. I can hardly wait for you to take a bite of this perfectly spiced, moist bread with the most incredible sugared top crust. 
Recipe
Best Ever Zucchini Bread - Ever so subtle changes to Smitten Kitchen's Ultimate Zucchini Bread recipe
Serves 8-10

Ingredients
2 cups (13 ounces or 370 g), grated on the large holes of a handheld or box grater (Do not squeeze any liquid out of the zucchini) - about 2 1/2 smaller sized zucchini
2 large eggs, room temperature
2/3 cup canola oil (or other neutral oil)
1/2 cup (95 g) dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon of grated nutmeg
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups (260 g) all-purpose unbleached flour (or regular all-purpose flour)
2 Tablespoons Turbinado sugar, Demerara sugar or Coarse Sanding Sugar
Optional: 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or 1 cup toasted coarsely chopped walnuts

Serving suggestions: Mascarpone cheese, cream cheese, Nutella, or unsalted butter topped with flakes of sea salt

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Generously spray a 9"x 5" or 10" x 4" non-stick baking pan with vegetable spray or grease with butter. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, first combine the grated zucchini, eggs, oil, dark brown sugar, granulated sugar, kosher salt, and vanilla. Stir with a fork to blend.
3. Add in the nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder. Stir just to get in all combined.
4. Add in the flour, stirring until just combined.
5. Pour the batter into the pan. Top with the Turbinado sugar. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until done (a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread should come out clean).
6. Let the zucchini bread cool completely in the baking pan. Set a light weight towel over the top and let rest overnight.
7. Cut into generous one inch slices and enjoy.

Notes: (1) I like mascarpone cheese plain and I like it lightly sweetened with some confectionary sugar. To 8 ounces of mascarpone cheese I add 2-3 Tablespoons of confectionary sugar. Taste after adding 1 Tablespoon, to decide how much more you want to add.


Morton Arboretum, August 2019