Saturday, January 19, 2013

Maple Sausage, Apple and Brie Quiche


For one of my significant milestone birthdays I gave myself the gift of traveling to Boulder, Colorado for a few days of hiking along with nurturing my emerging passion for landscape photography. Having never spent any time in the Rocky Mountains, let alone in a mountainous region, I was instantly smitten with Boulder from the moment I arrived. From the views of the mountains, to the incredible blue of the skies, to the weather, to the food, to the availability of a wide range of microbrew beverages, it's no wonder this city ranks high on the list of outdoor enthusiasts and foodies. I seriously never wanted to leave.

It was while staying at the Bradley Boulder Inn, an upscale rustic boutique little hotel, that I had my first taste of a Maple Sausage, Apple and Brie Quiche.


Initially I wasn't certain if my post-hiking state of starvation meant that anything I consumed would have tasted good.  But upon returning back to the midwest and on a less physically exerting, less starving kind of day, I made this quiche.  What I learned was my physical state did not matter at all, as this quiche was as scrumptious the first time as the second, third and fourth times it was eaten. All of the ingredients are each delicious on their own, but the combination of these ingredients results in a quiche tasting so wonderful and so unlike anything you may have ever eaten.


There is one shortcut I take when making quiche, any quiche.  The shortcut of using refrigerated pie crusts.  Okay, I hear the gasps and groans of those of you who would not even consider using a prepared pie crust.  Some of you may now find yourself opting out of reading any more about this recipe.  But try to hang in there for a little longer.  If you have never used the Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust in a recipe, try it just once and tell me if you don't find yourself pleasantly surprised at its taste.

I am not alway able to find freshly made maple flavored sausage in the grocery store but the refrigerated section always seems to be fully stocked with sausages in various flavors.  The subtleness of the maple flavor balances out the other ingredients in the quiche.  If buying maple sausage links instead of patties or a block of sausage, remember to remove the casings. Break up the maple sausage into smaller pieces before frying.  Drain the cooked sausage on a paper towel and allow to cool slightly before adding to the quiche.


The creaminess of the Brie cheese and tartness of the very thinly sliced granny smith apple is what I think makes this quiche a perfect recipe. The casing of the brie should be removed before slicing. However, leaving the skin on the apples adds color, texture and flavor to the quiche.


It took me awhile to figure out that if I mixed wet ingredients in a large measuring cup it would be easier to pour into the quiche shell.  Once you begin using a large measuring cup, you will be surprised at how often you use it as it also makes for a great mixing bowl for all sorts of recipes.


I go between using Kosher salt and sea salt in recipes.  In this quiche I used kosher salt. And instead of using black pepper, I used white pepper. No only will dark pepper flakes will interfere with the finished look of the quiche, but white pepper has a much milder flavor. And it compliments the flavors of the brie and the apples perfectly.


After you place the dough in the pie plate or quiche pan, you layer the sausage, apples and brie. Placing the apples in a circular pattern ensures you get the taste of apple in every bite.  But then during the baking, the apples rise up making for a great finished look.


With so many different and great recipes out there for quiches, this is one that remains one of my favorites for so many reasons.  If you are looking a recipe that is simple, this would be the one.  Your effortless work will result in an incredibly flavorful dish.  As an added benefit, the aroma in your house will be intoxicating.

The Maple Sausage, Apple and Brie Quiche just happens to be one of those elixirs I make when I long for the feeling of being in Boulder, of being in the mountains. And if I close my eyes, I am there.

Recipe
Maple Sausage, Apple and Brie Quiche (slightly adapted recipe from the Bradley Inn in Boulder, Colorado)
This recipe was updated in April 2020. 

Ingredients
5 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk
3/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 of a large apple very thinly sliced (recommend using granny smith or any other green skinned apple)
1/4 to 1/3 pound of brie cheese, cut into slices, rind removed
1 piecrust (Pillsbury refrigerated crust recommended if you don't want to make your own)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
8 ounces of browned maple sausage (if buying links, remove casings before browning)

Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). 
2. Lightly spray a ceramic pie or quiche pan and unroll pie crust into, fluting edges with fingers. Place in refrigerator while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
3. Cook the maple sausage until browned. Let drain on a paper towel and allow to cool slightly.
4. Whisk the eggs and milk.  Add salt and pepper and one quarter of the cooled cooked sausage.
5. Remove pie crust from refrigerator. Layer three quarters of the sausage; apples, and brie (in that order).
6.  Pour in the egg/milk mixture. Sprinkle top with nutmeg.
7. Place quiche pan on a large baking sheet. 
8. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes.  Sides and center of quiche will rise up, crust will be lightly browned and the quiche will feel slightly firm to the touch.
9. Let the quiche rest for at least 5-10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Notes: (1) Here were the changes made to the original recipe posted: (1) Instead of 6 large eggs, used 5 large eggs and 1 large egg yolk, (2) Instead of 1 cup of whole milk, used 3/4 cup of whole milk and 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream, (3) Instead of using sea salt, used kosher salt, and (4) Instead of using 6-8 ounces of browned maple sausage, used 8 ounces. (2) Additionally there were some slight, nuanced changes to the directions.


Once you have the experience of having your mind and body positively affected by the energy from seeing and being in the mountains, you are immediately addicted to it.  The only cure for this addiction is to back to the mountains as often as your life allows.  Life and responsibilities do not enable me to get back in Boulder as often as I would like, so I have to settle for making this quiche.
Recipes you make or foods you eat having the power to take you back to the places you love or to the events in your life with powerful memories always have a magical quality to them.