Saturday, March 16, 2013

Roasted Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Crostini

Plagued by power outages due to the hurricane this fall and the blizzard this winter I decided a gas grill was not just a nice to have, but a must have for the east coast house.  Having a grill would mean that I would at least have the ability to cook something if the power went out again.  Yet regardless if I there is ever another power outage or not, I have missed being able to cook year round on a gas grill.  Since I have moved to a place where the assortment and accessibility of fresh vegetables at roadside tables and farmer's markets from spring through fall is incredible, I have been longing to again experience the flavors that grilling brings to foods.

Seems that many of the purchases I have made lately have become an adventure all unto themselves. This adventure began when I found a last season floor sample gas grill on sale. The added bonus was that it was already assembled, a very good thing for me as assembling things with many parts isn't something I like to do, nor am I really good at.   So buying the grill was one thing, getting the grill home was another. Luckily the stars were aligned on the day I went to pick up the grill as my neighbor just happened to walk in the store the exact same time I did.  Considering the store is about a 25 minute drive from where we both live, being in the same location at the same time was a perfect synchronistic moment. And thankfully she offered to put the gas grill in the back of her large SUV, while I only had to put the filled propane tank in the trunk of my Saab. Later that day we took the grill out of her vehicle, connected the propane tank, and then both watched to see if the grill worked. Learning that this last season floor sample actually did work did not rise to the occasion of a scream worthy moment, just a smile worthy one.


As it had been more than a year since I had even cooked on a grill I wasted no time in using it. Since I was having some guests over for cocktails, I thought I would make Roasted Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Crostini.  The peppers are not roasted in the oven, they are grilled, charred then marinated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and of course a little crushed garlic served with softened chèvre or goat cheese on top of a sliced baguette.  It makes for a great appetizer.


This amazing bite of goodness all begins by roasting the red peppers on the grill, getting them charred then letting them steam to make for the easy removal of skin.  To get the peppers ready for peeling, I either put the charred peppers in a bowl covered with saran wrap or put them in a brown paper bag that is sealed tightly.  For this crostini there is no substitute for freshly grilled red peppers no matter how much you might spend on a jar of them.  Trust me, I think I have tried almost every brand of jarred red peppers and have never found anything tasting better than freshly grilled peppers.


Once the peppers are charred and steamed it is easy to remove the blackened skins.  A little messy but easy.


The peppers are then sliced into long quarter inch strips.  The long strips are then cut in half so each one is about two to three inches long.  After all of peppers are cut put into a medium sized bowl.

I like to add a couple of cloves of fresh garlic to the oil and vinegar mixture.  Sometimes I slice the garlic, sometimes I mince it, sometimes I leave it whole.


This recipe has a 3 to 1 extra virgin olive oil to balsamic vinegar tablespoon ratio giving it a perfect balance of the oil with the vinegar.  The oil and vinegar are whisked together until emulsified and then poured over the peppers and garlic.  After gently mixing everything together add about a half-teaspoon of sea salt.  If it is not salty enough for you, season to your liking.


The flavors are enhanced if you let this sit for at least an hour before serving.  I generally put leftovers, if there are any, in the refrigerator.  Just know you will have to bring the mixture to room temperature if serving again the next day. If I forget to take the mixture out of the refrigerator, I put it in the microwave at half power for a minute or two or until its the consistency is the same as the day it is made.


Spreading softened chèvre or goat cheese over a sliced baguette forms the base of the crostini. The red peppers are then spooned over the top.  If you don't want to make individual crostinis, you can serve the roasted red peppers alongside a log of softened goat cheese and a sliced baguette allowing everyone to make their own.
Recipe
Roasted Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Crostini (slight adaptation of a recipe found in a newspaper long, long ago)

Ingredients
2 pounds of red peppers (approximately 3 to 4 red peppers)
6 Tablespoons of good quality extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
1-2 garlic cloves, sliced thinly or kept whole
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt (or more to taste)
pinch of pepper
1 french baguette
4 to 8 ounces of softened chèvre or goat cheese

Directions
1. Heat grill and place peppers on grates.  Turn the peppers as they blacken ensuring the entire pepper has been blackened.
2.  Place blackened peppers in a bowl and cover tightly with saran wrap. Let sit for about an hour or until peppers are cooled enough to handle.
3.  Remove skins from the red peppers and slice into quarter inch strips.  Place in medium sized bowl.
4.  Add sliced, minced or whole garlic cloves (up to two cloves).
5.  Mix 6 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil with 2 Tablespoons of balsamic vinegar together until emulsified. 
6. Combine the red pepper strips with the olive oil mixture.  Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
7.  Let the peppers marinate in the olive oil mixture for at least one hour.  
8.  Serve with softened goat cheese and a sliced french baguette.

Spring hasn't even arrived and I am already planning for the return of summer or I should say getting the house here ready for summer.  I spent last weekend painting one of the attic bedrooms changing the yellow walls and a gray floor to lightly shaded tan walls and a white floor.  Three coats of paint later the room took on a completely different feel and look. I think it would have been easier to assemble the grill than to paint this room, particularly the floors. It is amazing how paint transforms a room.  Just as it is equally amazing how grilling transforms the taste of food.

I am looking to turn this attic bedroom into a visually beautiful luxurious little retreat for everyone who will be visiting. Now that the room is painted I have an excuse, like I need one, to drive up to Maine next weekend and browse through the antique stores. This excursion will not be like the gas grill purchase adventure as I am pretty sure that I will not be rescued by one of my neighbors. So this time I plan to drive up in a vehicle with a trunk larger the one in my Saab.  Hopefully when this project is over I can relax before I start the next project, well maybe.