Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Brendan's Double Espresso Martini

Up until last year I did not drink coffee (either hot or iced) and avoided all things mocha flavored. This may explain why I could not make something as simple as coffee when having company, always having to ask someone if they could make it for me. Yet for some completely unknown reason, I have started drinking or should say actually enjoying iced coffee (hot coffee still doesn't sound good to me). And when I allow myself the indulgence of an ice cream cone, I have finally moved away from the always ordered vanilla ice cream to ordering anything mocha flavored. The vanilla ice cream preference or perseveration is due in part to working at a Baskin-Robbins for a couple of years in college and overdosing on flavored ice creams, particularly Pralines and Cream.

Besides coffee and mocha flavored drinks and foods, my consumption of martinis has also increased over the course of the past four years.  Said differently, prior to four years ago I never even so much as sipped a martini so now incorporating a martini in the beverages I drink (even if only once or twice a month) seems like a warp speed change. For those you regularly enjoy martinis I would be considered a lightweight, however, time and opportunity prevent that status from changing anytime soon. Besides there has to be time for wine and pale ale.


The other night I was at a friend's house where the after dinner cocktail being served was Double Espresso Martinis. I could not help but think to myself a year ago I would have shivered at the thought of such a cocktail. But now, it's like 'bring it on' as all things coffee and/or mocha flavored have become tastes that I have acquired a fondness for.  Of course, this cocktail has a story. I wanted to call it Rita's Double Espresso Martini (as she is the one who made them), but Rita said it should be named after her son Brendan who made this cocktail for her this past Mother's Day. Imagine having someone make a special cocktail to celebrate you! Yes, the cocktail came with a card and flowers too, but the gift of the Double Espresso Martini has now taken on a life of its own. And this is one wicked good martini worthy of going viral.


Brendan's recipe has only three ingredients:  Van Gogh's Double Espresso Vodka, Stoli Vanilla Vodka and Kahlua. This could also be turned into Double Cappuccino Martini by adding just a little bit of whipped cream to it.  Whichever way you choose to make this martini to serve to your guests, you will knock their socks off (both literally and figuratively).


The vodkas and Kahlua are measured and put into a shaker filled with crushed ice.  After ensuring all of the ingredients are blended, you just strain, pour, and serve. It is the ratios of the two vodkas and the Kahlua that give this martini such an incredible, smooth, and utterly delicious flavor.


Rita's son is a mixologist (aka bartender) who knew what he was doing when he made this drink. I am just glad Rita was willing to share her son's recipe!  If I had not become a coffee convert a year ago, I would have missed the chance to enjoy this amazing martini.

Recipe 
Brendan's Double Espresso Martini (recipe created by Brendan)
Ingredients
4 parts Double Espresso Vodka
2 1/2 parts Stoli Vanilla Vodka
2 parts Kahlua
Crushed Ice
Optional:  Lightly whipped heavy cream

Directions
1. Pour vodkas and Kahlua into a shaker filled half-way with crushed ice.
2. Shake until well blended.
3. Pour strained mixture into your favorite martini glasses.
4. Optional:  Top with lightly whipped cream


I live in a town that to be considered a local you are a fourth, fifth, sixth or seventh generation inhabitant. Second and third generations haven't been here long enough and are still relative newcomers. I have only been here for a year, a newcomer by anyone's definition, so it seems a little presumptuous on my part to even comment on the arrival of the 'summer people'. The summer season begins Memorial Day weekend and continues a little past Labor Day. The 'summer people' are those with second homes here as well as those who rent houses for the week or month. And there are the hundreds of cyclists who find this to be a bike friendly town with amazing views and relatively flat roads. As I have shared before, this is such a beautiful place it is no wonder that it is a mecca for those who want to bask in its beauty. From the ocean views to the meadows to the farms to the houses to the views of the ocean and in all of its simplicity and grandeur, I am somewhat envious of those who have grown up here. The arrival of the 'summer people' generates an increase in traffic at the beach, in the few restaurants, in the only store in town and on the roads. There are no stop lights in this town of two lane roads.

So my days of taking beginning and end of the day walks at the ocean with no one around, except the seagulls and the sandpipers, will be ending soon. As much as I love the feeling of walking a 'private' beach and seeing how the beach changes with the tides, I would be remiss if I didn't say there really are many upsides to having the population increase for a few months. The farmer's markets return, all of the roadside stands open, the lobster company increases their hours, and one of my neighbors returns.  As all things ebb and flow, things will again change when the fall arrives and the benefits brought by the summer people will temporarily disappear.  I have come to appreciate why the locals are so fiercely protective of their town yet I also understand why so many have sought out this place as their second home or vacation destination. Beautiful landscapes should be shared and be seen.  So in spite of more traffic on the roads and at the beaches, the views will not be any less stunning and the town not any less bucolic. Even though it might take me a little longer to get around town (not a whine, just a little whimper). Have a great Memorial Day weekend!