Sunday, July 14, 2013

Blueberry Crisp


Blueberry season has finally arrived. While I have yet to find the time to go blueberry picking, my favorite fruit stand and grocery store are, for the time being, my go to sources for fresh blueberries. Whether or not my locally grown blueberries really taste better than those grown in other states (or even other countries), I have convinced myself there is a difference. With the exception of a blueberry cobbler, I cannot think of a single dessert calling for blueberries that I do not like. As much as I love blueberry muffins, blueberry lemon pound cake, blueberry pie and blueberry jam, my favorite recipe using blueberries is a blueberry crisp. There is just something so satisfying about the flavor combination of the warm baked blueberries and the sweet, crunch crisp topping (oh yes, along with some great vanilla ice cream) making it one of my favorite desserts to make year round. But particularly in the summer when the blueberries are at their peak.


Years ago I found a Blueberry Crisp recipe in a Yankee magazine, in the days when this magazine was the size of a Reader's Digest (I am most likely dating myself with this reference). My recollection had the recipe using Maine blueberries (which are smaller and also incredibly delicious) created by someone in Maine. In addition to lobster and lobster rolls, Maine is a state known for its' blueberries (I have been known to drive more than 2 hours to get a lobster roll in Maine, there is a sweetness to the lobster there that makes it drive worthy, but this isn't a posting about lobsters, its' about blueberries). Before making this crisp the first time, I had a pretty good feeling that someone in Maine knew how to make an amazing Blueberry Crisp.


Because whoever created this recipe put together the perfect balance of flavors.  How do I know this? Well I had lost the recipe once and tried another blueberry crisp recipe and it did not come anywhere close to the flavor and texture of the recipe I found in Yankee magazine.


It all begins with fresh blueberries. Or a combination of blueberries and blackberries. And at the moment I am not compelled to drive to Maine for fresh blueberries (although the thought has crossed my mind), as where I live here are several blueberry farms.


The blueberries are mixed with the juice and zest of one lemon, 4 Tablespoons of flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, the kosher salt, and a rounded 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. Once mixed, they are poured into a round or rectangular ceramic or glass dish (you can use a ten inch round, a 9" x 12" rectangular or medium sized oval dish).

In a food processor you will first combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and half of the rolled oats. Ten tablespoons of cold butter that has been cut into small pieces is then added. Pulse the mixture until it is damp crumbly. Pour into another bowl and mix in remaining oats. I like to see and taste the oats in my crisp so I don't process all of them in the food processor. This is an added step, one definitely worth taking.


The crisp topping is equally distributed over the top of the blueberry mixture. Feel free to sprinkle a few more oats on top (about another tablespoon).


Baked in the middle of a pre-heated 400 degree (F) oven, baking time will range from 30-40 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let the crisp rest for at least 10-15 minutes if serving immediately. I generally make the crisp a few hours before serving, so its' slightly warmer than room temperature.


The golden brown topping has great flavor and a great crunch. The texture of the lemony blueberries and the crisp topping is beyond perfect. I always serve the crisp with some vanilla ice cream, but this crisp is delicious all on its' own. For those of you who are a crisp purists, you might consider skipping the addition of the vanilla ice cream, but I would urge you to give the ice cream a chance here. I think it elevates this crisp into something even more wicked.

Recipe
Blueberry Crisp (more than a slight adaptation to a recipe published in Yankee Magazine ages ago)
Updated Recipe (May 2020)

Ingredients
3 pints (992g or 36 ounces) or 6 cups of fresh blueberries (or 5 cups blueberries and 1 cup blackberries)
1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
Juice and finely grated zest of 1 small lemon 
4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 rounded teaspoon cinnamon (recommend using Saigon cinnamon)
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt

1 cup (130 g) all-purpose flour
1 cup (200 g) packed light brown sugar
1 cup (100 g) rolled oats plus 2 Tablespoons, divided
1/2 rounded teaspoon cinnamon (recommend using Saigon cinnamon)
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
11 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into small pieces

Vanilla Ice Cream for serving

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F).  Generously butter a 9" x 12" ceramic or glass baking dish or 10 inch round ceramic baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, mix the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, flour, kosher salt, and cinnamon. Pour mixed berries into prepared dish and set aside.
3. Combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and half of the oats in a food processor.
4. Add butter and pulse repeatedly until mixture is clumpy, like damp crumbs.
5. Pour mixture into a bowl and mix in the remaining oats.
6. Spread crumbs evenly over the blueberry mixture.
7. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly hot. Remove from oven. Let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.
8. Serve warm or at room temperature.
9. Serve with the best vanilla ice cream you can find (if you live on the east coast, highly recommended Bliss vanilla)

Notes: (1) If you like a crunchier crisp topping use 12 Tablespoons instead of 11 Tablespoons of unsalted butter. (2) You can easily cut this recipe in half. Use a smaller baking dish. Baking time will be the same. (3) A small lemon will give you between one and two tablespoons of lemon juice. If using a large lemon, you will not want to use all of the lemon juice as it could make your blueberry crisp a little more lemony than you might like.


If summer had to be described in one color, for me it would be the color blue. Blue skies, the ocean, hydrangeas, and blueberries are just some of the things that make this season my second favorite (fall still ranks as my most favorite season). And if there could only be two seasons a year, my choices would be summer and fall. Both are so bountiful and beautiful on so many different levels. Having a Little House on the Prairie winter experience this year (three days without power in house with one fireplace, electric heat and a well), I think I could be good only looking at snow on the tops of mountains for at least a year. Maybe if I put some distance between my memory of this harsh winter and snow, I will go back to embracing winter again someday. 

But for now, I need to just focus on savoring summer without looking ahead or looking back. There is much to be said about the concept of living in the moment (sometimes easier said than done). Have you ever just finished eating breakfast and someone says 'so what's for lunch, what's for dinner?' Or have you ever been in the company of someone you absolutely love spending time with and all you can think about is when the next time you get together? Or have you just had a perfect moment and interrupt it with wondering how long it will last? I had a friend once who would say to me (when all of these not living in the moment thoughts would come into my head) 'breathe, just breathe'. Sometimes we aren't able to listen to the advice others give us 'in the moment'. Sometimes it takes awhile for this advice to set in.  So for me on days when it all seems just right, I remind myself to 'just breathe' trying not to think about what's coming next, trying only to enjoy the moment. And even on days when things  aren't going as well, the words 'just breathe' help me get through those moments.