Wednesday, December 11, 2013

A Savory and Hearty Frittata

The first time I made the Hearty Frittata was when I was having a friend visit for the weekend. I wanted to make something different or I should say a memorable, amazing flavor, beautiful dish. The frittata made with challah bread, eggs, sharp cheddar cheese, mild Italian sausage, caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms, green onions and a little bit of half and half seemed to have it all and all in one dish! Not only did it turn out to be memorable and beautiful, it was a frittata that went beyond my delciousness expectations. Finding the perfect recipe to replace that same old, same old breakfast casserole or the incredibly delicious but insanely rich custard based french toast casserole was like finding the proverbial pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.


I am probably the first person (okay maybe second or third) to run out and buy a new kitchen tool or gadget if it is called for in a recipe. Yet, for some reason when I found this frittata recipe (it called for a frittata pan) I showed restraint (something that happens a little too infrequently). Instead, I thought the recipe was easily adaptable to being baked in a cast iron pan. Okay, there are probably some of you don't have a cast iron pan, but I would urge you to run out, show no restraint, and get one! Why? Because it meets the 'rule of three'. The cast iron pan can withstand high temperatures, can be used for more than just making frittatas, and makes any dish presentation worthy. Convinced yet?


Whether served hot out of the oven, warm or at room temperature, the frittata was both filling and slightly addictive. The kind of addictiveness that happens when your stomach feels full but your mouth says 'I am not finished yet'.


The original recipe called for brioche. However, more often than not, finding it is a bit of a challenge. Unless of course I want to drive to three or four stores. I can be a little ingredient obsessive, but I have my limits. Challah is so much more readily available (usually found in the first grocery store I go to) and it works perfectly in this frittata. On the other hand, fresh eggs (my recently acquired ingredient obsession) are no longer readily available in the midwest where I now live. So while visiting friends in Rhode Island this past weekend I was over the top giddy to have scored fresh eggs (the ones with the deepest of yellow almost orange yolks) from my favorite chicken farmer. Of all of the purchases made over the course of several days, the eggs were hands down my most favorite (this wasn't the first time I brought back two dozen fresh eggs on the plane with me and it won't be the last). No, you don't need fresh eggs for this frittata, you only need ten large ones.


There are three cups of toasted bread cubes in the frittata. The loaf of Challah will yield almost double this. Any unused toasted bread cubes can be stored for use at a later time or you can just toast as much of the bread as you need.


Once the toasted bread cubes have cooled, they are mixed into with the eggs, half and half, cheese and green onions. The bread cubes need to be completely submerged as it is important for the bread be able to absorb the liquid. The entire mixture is covered and refrigerated for an hour.


Eight ounces of mild Italian sausage are sautéed in one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil until browned. Once browned the sausage is removed and placed on a paper towel to drain.


There are layers and layers of flavor in this frittata. A Spanish onion is thinly sliced and caramelized while mushrooms are sautéed until lightly browned and tender. When getting ready to assemble the frittata, the cooked vegetables are mixed with the sautéed Italian sausage, returned back to the pan and cooked until just heated through (about 1 to 2 minutes).

Remove the pan from the heat before mixing in the egg/cheese/bread mixture. Working quickly, stir until the sausage and vegetables are well distributed. In the preheated 350 degree oven the frittata is baked for 30 to 35 minutes or until it is puffed and lightly browned. I used a 10 inch cast iron pan to make this frittata. Baking time might change if you use a larger pan.


What I love about this frittata is that it can be served hot or warm and is still rather tasty at room temperature. So if you have never made a frittata before, let this be the one you make for your family and friends. This is one savory, satisfying and beautiful dish. And it might just make you give up your standard breakfast casserole recipe.

Recipe
Savory and Hearty Frittata (slight adaption to the Lodge Brunch Frittata recipe shared by Williams-Sonoma)

Ingredients
3 cups of brioche or challah bread with crust removed cut into 1 inch cubes 
10 large eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup half and half
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion, both green and white parts (about 2-3 green onions)
6 ounces freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese 
8 ounces mild Italian sausage
1 medium sized spanish onion, thinly sliced
8 ounces Baby Bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
3 Tablespoons and 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil (divided)
Kosher salt and black pepper

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spread bread cubes on baking sheet and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until the bread cubes are lightly golden. Allow to cool. (Note: Can be made a day ahead. Put cooled bread cubes in a sealed plastic bag.)
3. Lightly beat the eggs. Add half and half along with a pinch of Kosher salt and pepper. Mix until blended.
4.  Add cooled bread cubes, cheese and green onions to egg mixture mixing to ensure the bread cubes are fully coated. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
5. Add 1 Tablespoon of extra-virgin olive to the skillet turning the heat to medium high. Add mild pork sausage and cook until sausage is lightly browned (about 8 to 10 minutes). Remove sausage and place on a paper towel lined plate. Set aside.
6. Add a Tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet turning heat to medium high. Add onions and cook until onions are caramelized (stirring frequently). Takes 12-15 minutes. Remove onions and set aside.
7. Add a Tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet turning heat to medium high. Add mushroom and cook until lightly browned and tender. About 8-10 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
8. Mix together the cooked sausage, caramelized onions and sautéed mushrooms in the skillet. Cook until heated through (about 1 to 2 minutes).
9. Pour in egg/bread mixture and stir until sausage/vegetable mixture is evenly distributed.
10. Place in the preheated 350 degree oven and bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until top is lightly browned and puffed. Note: Another sign of doneness - the center of the frittata should bounce back.
11. Remove from oven and serve. Can be served hot, warm or at room temperature.
Note: Sausage, onions and mushrooms can be made a day ahead. Cover and place in refrigerator. Reheating may take slightly longer than 1 to 2 minutes.


Years back when I was first began buying antiques I became friends with someone who imparted her years of buying and collecting wisdom with me. Wisdom which ultimately guided most of my furniture purchases. We were at an antique show in Maryland (a whirlwind antique buying weekend trip) when I found a painted blanket chest. I was on the hunt for one and was bound and determined to come home with one. So when I found a blanket chest in original paint I was ecstatic. That is until my friend Randi said 'so where are you going to put that orange painted blanket chest?' I shared I wanted for the family room (but really I just wanted it). Then she said 'where else could you use it?'  Taken back a little by the question, I responded to her question with a question 'Why would I have to think about where else to use it?'. 

And that's when she imparted her 'rule of three' wisdom with me. 'If you can't think of three different uses or places in your home for a piece of antique furniture (beds don't fit this rule), think long and hard before buying it, especially if it comes with a large price tag. But if there are three different uses or places for it, don't even think twice, it is something you should buy', she said. 

Needless to say I didn't come home with the orange painted blanket chest that weekend (thankfully in retrospect) but rather I came home with the 'rule of three' wisdom that guided many of my subsequent antique furniture purchases. I have since tried to generalize this wisdom to other things, things even as small as buying a cast iron pan or in hiring a staff member. I don't follow it religiously (you know the old exception to the rule rationalization), but when I do, I have never regretted the purchase or the decision.