Saturday, September 20, 2014

Pumpkin Squares


After six glorious days on the east coast, I am back home. Or at least I am back in my midwest home. For there is a part of me that will always feel as if Little Compton (Rhode Island) is home to me as well in spite of living there for barely two years. As someone who seriously entertains the concept that we have all been here before, I have often wondered if my strong connection to this town is due in part to having spent time there in another life. But whether or not this is possible, I find it hard to believe that its' compelling, sheer beauty and tranquility are the only reasons I love this place as much as I do. Until moving there, I had never known just how much living near the ocean could simultaneously be both energizing and calming. If there is one thing I know for sure, I shall always continue to be drawn back there in this lifetime.


This trip back was a 'birthday' present of sorts to myself. It was a chance for me to spend time with friends, travel back to some of my favorite places, get in some beach time (weather could not have been more cooperative), do some antiquing, get my fix of lobster rolls, and explore places I had longed to see. From walking the Boston Public Gardens to taking in the breathtaking views of the Aquinnah Cliffs on Martha's Vineyard to traveling along the southern coast of Maine to spending time in Little Compton, this trip definitely ranks high on my list of travels thus far as both my soul and spirit were nurtured.

With many sights to be seen and photos to be taken, there wasn't any time for cooking or baking (a short term hardship). With one exception. In the kitchen of the cottage I was staying in, there was a charming little stove with an oven. It was the perfect size for baking the lobster and artichoke pizzas (brought back from a day trip to Maine) I served at a small gathering I had one evening in the cottage. Is there any lobster better than Maine lobster? There is only answer to that question. No. I think my new favorite toppings on pizza are now (Maine) lobster and artichokes. Already I finding another reason (as if I need one) to get back to east coast.


While there was barely of hint of color on the trees out east, pumpkins, gourds, and cornstalks were in abundance. This may be my imagination or possibly just a personal bias, but the most gorgeous pumpkins are grown out east. (I may have disenfranchised some of you with this belief, but with some degree of confidence I believe the east coast would win a pumpkin throw down. Okay, now I may have pushed some of you over the edge.)  If I could have figured out how to make enough room in my suitcases (I do not pack lightly), I would have brought back some pumpkins with me as their shapes, colors, and textures were insanely, uniquely beautiful. But if my suitcases were going to be overweight (which they were), I decided several bottles of wine must take preference over the pumpkins. I would have to be satisfied looking at my pumpkin photos while savoring the wine.


The last time I made these Pumpkin Squares was last November. They were one of my contributions to the Thanksgiving dinner we shared with friends, a memorable dinner made in a cabin in the Daniel Boone National Forest in Kentucky. The reason for making them this time was less celebratory but no less important as they were for a friend who recently suffered a great loss. Food may often seem unimportant during times of grief, yet it always manages to play an important healing role while we remember those who have left this world. So this time the Pumpkin Squares would be comfort food.


One of my pet peeves is seeing recipes posted on foodblogs where the sources of inspiration or actual recipe creator are conspicuously absent. I could do a rant on this, but will show some restraint. Having said all of this, I am posting a recipe on this blog I have absolutely no idea where I had found it or who its' creator is. In my semi-disorganized approach to researching pumpkin bar and pumpkin square recipes, I failed to note the source. My only contributions to this 'honestly unknown source' recipe was adding walnuts to the batter and adorning the finished pumpkin squares with some white chocolate dipped walnuts (yes, this is an insignificant contribution, I know). But if any of you who read this blog know this recipe's original source, please let me know so I can be relieved of the guilt I am having over posting a recipe not of my own creation.


When canned pumpkin hits the grocery store shelves in late summer early fall, I turn into a hoarder buying more cans than I possibly need for the fall and winter seasons. The rationale for this is two-fold. What if there is a pumpkin shortage one year and canned pumpkin becomes scarce? (probably not likely, but certainly plausible). And, what if I have a craving for pumpkin pie or pumpkin squares or pumpkin bars in the summer? (this is always definitely likely). If pressed further, I might be able to come up with a few more reasons for this obsession with having a semi-ridiculous inventory of canned pumpkin in the pantry.

These Pumpkin Squares are more cake-like in texture. The thickness of the square (and subsequently the baking time) all depends on personal preference. They can be made in a 9x12 pan, a 10x15 pan or even a slightly larger half-sheet cake pan. My choice has been a 10x15 pan (baking time of 35-40 minutes) as I like the thickness of the finished squares as well as the cake to frosting ratio. If using a smaller pan, the baking time is increased and with using a the larger pan the baking time is decreased. In addition to the use of cake tester or toothpick to test for doneness, I also like to use the press lightly method. If it springs back, I know it is done. If an indention remains, it still has more baking time.


Pumpkin squares are also just another (secret) excuse to make cream cheese frosting. When I made them for Thanksgiving I filled a pastry bag with the cream cheese frosting then sprinkled chopped toasted walnuts on top. This time I wanted a different look to the bars. So I simply lathered the frosting over the baked pumpkin squares with an offset spatula and created a simple design (again I probably saw this somewhere too so I am not taking credit for this either).

Before frosting the squares, I always allow them to cool to room temperature and then chill in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. The chilling isn't completely necessary, but I feel as if the squares retain their moistness when chilled. Once iced, they go back in the refrigerator for a second chilling. This chilling makes cutting them much, much easier.


I wanted to find a way to infuse a little bit of chocolate into these pumpkin bars, so I thought white chocolate dipped walnuts would be a perfect (monochromatic) finishing touch on each square. But the options for decorating these squares are somewhat endless. One option being no decorations at all.

Two teaspoons of cinnamon add just the right amount of spice in these Pumpkin Squares. Complimented by the sweetness of the cream cheese frosting makes them equally delicious for breakfast, for a snack, or for dessert. If anything, these pumpkin squares do not need a reason to be made. If you are craving the taste of pumpkin, have more cans of pumpkin in your cupboard than you know what to do with, are in the mood to fill the house with the aroma of pumpkin and cinnamon, or just want to bake something, then make these. If you are making to give away or bring to a gathering, be certain to cut them in such a way there are some uneven pieces left for you.

Recipe
Pumpkin Squares

Ingredients
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
2 cups canned pumpkin
2 teaspoons Saigon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup walnuts, roasted and chopped (optional)

16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (or combination of unsalted butter and margarine)
6 cups confectionary sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla
Generous pinch of sea salt

Optional: White chocolate dipped walnuts for decorating. Other options include chopped walnuts, sprinkles, or fall marshmallow candies.

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Line a 10" x 15" cake pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Sift together the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
3. Using a handheld mixer, beat vegetable oil, sugar and eggs until light and creamy.
4. Mix in pumpkin until mixed.
5. Slowly beat in sifted flour on medium speed until thoroughly combined.
6. Spread batter in prepared pan. Smooth top. Place baking sheet on a larger baking sheet and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Note: Can make in a 9x12 cake pan, but increase baking time to 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
7. Allow baked pumpkin bars to come to room temperature. Place cooled bars in refrigerator to chill.
8. To make cream cheese frosting, first beat cream cheese with butter until smooth. Beat in sifted confectionary sugar and sea salt until well blended. Stir.in vanilla.
9. Spread cream cheese frosting over chilled bars using an offset spatula or with a pastry bag fitted with your pastry tube of choice.
10. Return bars to the refrigerator to chill before cutting into squares.
11. Cut frosted pumpkin bars into squares. Place cut squares in cupcake papers.
12. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

Notes: (1) Cream cheese icing recipe updated in September 2018. The recipe makes slightly more than you need. 


One of the many endearing qualities of Little Compton is the continued practice of the 'on your honor' way of purchasing. For some cities and towns across the country, this would be a throwback Thursday concept, but there it is a present day one. Unattended pumpkins on the roadside, fresh eggs on a table at the end of a driveway, bouquets of flowers on a stand, clusters of fresh herbs and perennials, or boxes of freshly picked fruits/vegetables are all accompanied by a container of some sort or another (more often than not unlocked so you can make change) to place your money in (or in some cases to leave a note saying you will back the next day). I had often wondered why in this day and age such a practice continues, not just there but in other places too (still clinging to an idealistic way of viewing the world and trying not to succumb to a rather jaded way of thinking).

At the memorial service for the sister of my friend, there were many words spoken. But the words 'our goal in life is to make the visible the invisible grace of God' had me take pause for many reasons. The least of which maybe was they also seemed to provide the answer to at least one of my many wonderings. Proving to me once again epiphanies can happen at any time, in any place, sometimes sooner, sometimes later, but always, better late than never.