Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Sea Salted Dark Chocolate and Sunflower Seed Bars


"To think too long about doing a thing often becomes its' undoing." At one time or another, most of us are guilty of putting off a decision choosing instead to stay in that 'thinking about it' place. The longer we stay in that 'thinking' place, the harder it can be to get to the 'doing' place. Over the past several years I have had more than my share of false return to running starts. Each time kicking myself for ever needing to have to 'restart' something that had given me a great deal of pleasure (and a little bit of pain). Not wanting to keep looking in the mirror seeing someone who was 'all thinking, all talk and no action', I decided it was time to focus less on the obstacles and excuses and get my aging, much slower body back to running. This time it would be with the understanding this was NOT going to be another 'restart', but rather it was to be a 'return'. You might not think there is much difference between those two concepts, but there is. One allows for an 'out' while the other signifies a 'commitment'. Had I not made this 'commitment' to myself, I am pretty sure I wouldn't have finished a 'brutal' training run this past weekend (three miles felt like 26.2 miles uphill), let alone survive the run recovery. Whining aside, I had forgotten how good exhaustion and exhilaration feels (as crazy as that sounds). This past weekend's run brought it all back and then some. And it didn't seem to matter that I ran so much slower than I used to.


My post running cravings used to be gummi worms, gummi fish, gummi bears, anything gummi-like. Seems they still are. Following the Saturday group run I had some errands to do. First stop was picking up a few things from the grocery store. And yes, gummi worms were on the list. While standing in line I saw a package of sea salted chocolate covered sunflower seeds. For a moment I thought maybe chocolate and seeds would be a more healthy reward (haven't we all been lulled into believing how some chocolates may actually be good for you?). And then I looked at the price and had a temporary, unusual moment of sticker shock along with a very audible 'yikes'. The chocolates didn't make it into my bag, however, I left thinking 'why didn't I ever think of making the ultimate nutty, healthier version of the Nestle Crunch Bar before?'.


For awhile now I have been melting my chocolate in the microwave versus over simmering water on the stove. However, I have not been tempering the chocolate to ensure it retains that finished glossy shine one seeks to have when the making of or dipping chocolates. David Lebovitz has explained how to temper chocolate using a thermometer while the The Kitchn has described how a home cook can achieve perfectly tempered chocolate without one. You won't go wrong either way, but I went with process not requiring a thermometer. This also meant returning back to melting the chocolate over simmering water.

It was luck on the first try as the one pound of dark chocolate to one cup of roasted sunflower seeds turned out to be the perfect ratio in creating these bars. An additional two tablespoons of the sunflower seeds along with some sea salt were sprinkled over the top were the finishing touch. There is just something about the combination of chocolate, particularly dark or semi-sweet chocolate, and sea salt that works to enhance the overall flavor (of the chocolate).

Before the chocolate and sunflower seed mixture was fully set in the pan, I cut it into bars. To speed up the 'setting up' process I put the pan of pre-cut bars into the refrigerator for about ten minutes. The chilling process made it rather easy to break up the chocolate into bars. Note: If you want a more random look, you could easily forego the pre-cutting process and break it all up after it has chilled.

Seriously these Sea Salted Dark Chocolate and Sunflower Seed Bars were incredibly delicious and 's-crunch-ous'! Who knew that simply standing in line at the grocery store would lead to their creation! I suppose I could and I will rationalize this 'new' discovery was made possible as a result of my return to running. Isn't funny how when you return to the things that made you happy, made you feel good, gave you that skip in your step, and even at times caused you a little bit of angst, you begin to see the world and everything in it just a little bit differently. Think the word for this collection of feelings is bliss.

Recipe
Sea Salted Dark Chocolate and Sunflower Seed Bars

Ingredients
1 pound dark or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped and divided
1 cup dry roasted sunflower seeds, plus an additional 2 Tablespoons for sprinkling on top
Sea salt for finishing

Directions
1. Line a 10"x14" baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Melt 13 ounces of the chocolate over simmering water.
3. Stir in remaining 3 ounces of the chocolate until mixture is smooth.
4. Gently stir in the dry roasted sunflower seeds.
5. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Smooth top with an offset spatula. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and two tablespoons of sunflower seeds.
6. Allow the chocolate to set for approximately 8-10 minutes or until semi-firm but not completely hardened. Using a long, thin knife, cut into bars or squares. Note: Number of bars or squares will depend on size. My yield was 24 bars. 
7. Chill entire pan of chocolate in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. 
8. Remove pan from the refrigerate and carefully break into bars. Arrange on platter or package in cellophane bags.


Trying to find nature's beauty on another sunny winter day at the Morton Arboretum.