Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Baked Cod w/ Herbed Panko/Cracker Crumbs


After a longer than anticipated hiatus from yoga, I returned back to my yoga mat last week. Some say the comeback is always stronger after the setback, however, at the moment I am not convinced. Maybe I just haven't given it long enough. Maybe it will take a few more weeks (or months) before my balance and strength will at least begin to return (if not exceed) my pre-pandemic yoga practice. Sporadically engaging in some online yoga classes over the past few months is definitely not the same as being in a very warm yoga studio. However, the return back to the yoga studio is yet another slightly different experience. As having to wear a face mask for an intense sixty minute yoga class makes it feel as if I am now practicing in one of those hot, high humidity yoga bikram studios. Between my lack luster performance, the heat, and intermittent periods of that hyperventilating feeling, my love of and for yoga is definitely being challenged. Although somehow walking away from something that has pushed me, has made incredible demands on my body as well as made me question my sanity, isn't an option I am willing to put on the table. At least not anytime soon, if ever. No one ever said yoga would be easy, not even before or during a Pandemic. Which means I am just going to have to get comfortable being uncomfortable as I am committed to staying in this for the long haul. 

Less than three miles from my home is a great fish and seafood store. It's one I have gone to mostly at the holidays or when looking to make an impressive shrimp platter for guests. Which means it isn't a place I go to frequently. This is due partly because I can sometimes be a creature of habit and partly because cooking fish/seafood (other than my usual salmon) isn't something I have felt confident about. Which is a bit of a surprise considering how much I actually love fish. Quite possibly my fish cooking reluctance has something to do with the red snapper marinated in a whole bottle of French Dressing recipe we made in college. At the time my sorority sister roommate and I thought it so 'gourmet' we made it our company dinner party signature dish. Yes, this is a true fish story! I can't help but wonder if all these years later any of those dinner guests have an aversion to making or having a home-cooked fish dinner. I even wonder if it's a fish dish they still remember it. Quite honestly it would be hard not to!.
.
 Just recently I decided cooking fish is one of things I need to get better at, maybe even good at. Not just because I live close to store sourcing some really great fresh fish, not just because it's an incredibly heart healthy source of protein rich in the good for you Omega-3 fat, and not to erase a fish dish memory from long ago, but because it's simply delicious.
 

After making this Baked Cod w/ Herbed Panko/Cracker Crumbs I discovered cooking fish wasn't as complicated as I had erroneously convinced myself it was. Isn't it funny how we can so easily convince ourselves something is so much harder that it really is? It only took one bite of this incredibly tender, melt in your mouth, flavorful cod for me to realize I had been depriving myself (as well as family and friends) of enjoying amazing home-cooked fish meals for years. So, for those of who consider cooking fish to be something a little out of your comfort zone, I am here to tell you this Baked Cod will help to change that perception. 

If at all possible when shopping for cod or any fish for that matter, find a fish or grocery store that has sells fresh (not previously frozen) fish as well as has frequent fish deliveries. In other words, for the best fish cooking and eating experience you want really good fish. My seafood store did not sell center cut cod fillets, only larger sized cod fillets. So I asked if I could have the thickest fillets possible as I would be cutting them half for this dish. Fillets with an even thickness will bake up evenly. Meaning you won't end up with some under and overcooked pieces of fish. 


This Baked Cod w/ Herbed Panko/Cracker Crumbs recipe has a two-part cooking/roasting process. For the first ten minutes the cod is roasted in oven only coated with olive oil, salt, and pepper. After the partially baked cod has a wine/lemon mixture poured over it and is then topped with a herbed, garlic panko/Ritz Cracker mixture, it bakes for another twelve minutes. After just twenty-two minutes of total baking/roasting time, you will have made one of the best, most elegant cod dishes to grace your table. 


The contrast in flavors from the tender, luscious cod to the slightly crispy buttery, herby, panko/Ritz cracker topping will have your head spinning. 


The fork-tender, succulent cod is the result of roasting it at a high oven temperature combined with the poaching effects of the wine/lemon juice mixture. In other words, how you cook/bake this fish partly contributes to what makes it so divine.


Pair the Baked Cod w/ Herbed Panko/Cracker Crumbs with some sautéed spinach, roasted asparagus and/or a beautiful salad. Open up a bottle of your favorite wine and sit back while enjoying every single bite. As you savor each morsel ask yourself if you are starting to get comfortable cooking fish at home. I am guessing the answer will be a yes.

Recipe
Baked Cod w/ Herbed Panko/Cracker Crumbs
Serves 4-6

Ingredients
2+ pounds boneless cod fillets cut into six 6-7 ounce pieces or 6 center cut boneless cod fillets 6-8 ounces each
2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
15 Ritz crackers (46g) finely ground
1/3 cup (32g) Japanese style Panko crumbs
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
2 medium sized cloves (2 teaspoons) minced garlic
1 teaspoon lemon zest
4 Tablespoons (57g) unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup white wine (Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio)
2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Kosher salt and black pepper
1-2 Tablespoons capers, for serving
1 whole lemon cut into 6 wedges, for serving

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F). 
2. Pour 2-3 Tablespoons of olive oil into a 9" x 12" ceramic baking dish. Tilt the dish to coat the bottom of the dish.
3. Place the cod fillets in the dish, turn to coat both sides of the cod with the olive oil.
4. Mix together 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. Evenly sprinkle over the cod fillets.
5. Place the baking dish on a baking sheet and place in oven. Bake for 10 minutes.
6. Mix together the ground Ritz crackers, Japanese-style Panko crumbs, minced parsley, minced garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt in a small bowl. Pour in the melted butter and mix until the crumbs are evenly moistened. Set aside.
7. Mix together the wine and fresh lemon juice.
8. Remove the cod from the oven and evenly pour the wine/lemon mixture over the fillets.
9. Evenly top each fillet with the crumb mixture. Pat it down lightly. Don't worry if some of it falls into the pan.
10. Return the baking dish to the oven and continue roasting for 12 minutes or until the fish is just cooked through in the center, depending on the thickness of the fillets. Note: My baking time was exactly 12 minutes.
11. Transfer cod fillets onto a large serving platter. Pour the incredibly flavorful pan sauce along the edges (not over) the baked fish.
12. Top the cod with 1-2 Tablespoons of capers. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve immediately. Definitely encourage everyone to spoon some of the sauce on their fish. It's really, really good.

Notes: (1) If buying boneless cod fillets, ask your fish monger for the thickest fillets. If using boneless cod fillets, look for ones about 3/4" thick. If buying center cut cod fillets, ask for ones about 3/4" inch thick. (2) Japanese-style Panko crumbs are slightly larger than regular panko bread crumbs which helps to add some nice crunch to the topping. (3) I used Chardonnay insteadd of Pinot Grigio but either will work. (4) This recipe was inspired by the Baked Cod with Garlic and Herb Ritz Crumbs from Ina Garten in her cookbook "Modern Comfort Food".