Monday, June 20, 2022

BLT DIP



There are some days when I walk into the grocery store and leave without one of the things on my 'mental' grocery list. But there are many days when I can remember exactly what a recipe, one either handwritten or copied decades ago, looks like. But then it's always a matter of going through my recipe collection chaos to search for it. We were having friends over for dinner this past weekend and I wanted to resurrect one of my 'vintage' appetizer recipes. Fortunately for me, it didn't take too long to find the recipe card. One surprisingly in my early legible handwriting. As I looked at the recipe, I thought that after all these years it needed a bit of going from good to great makeover. Although it's a simple recipe, so the changes needed to be simple as well.


Seems everything retro is making a comeback. For my part in this growing trend, I am bringing back this BLT (sans the lettuce) Dip (yes, I am retro influencer now). Calling this a BLT dip when there is no lettuce in it doesn't make a whole sense, right? However, I suppose the name was intended to evoke all of the flavors of the BLT sandwich (and it does). And I would be the first to say a recipe called BT Dip doesn't sound quite as enticing. 


Way back when, when I was making this BLT dip on a semi-regular basis, I served it with cocktail rye breads. On Saturday night, I decided to serve it with some homemade ciabatta crostini. After posting a photo of the BLT dip on a platter surrounded by the crostini, one of my friends suggested serving the dip with Frito Scoops. Let's suffice to say that was a brilliant idea! If you have never had BLT dip before, you are going to want to enjoy it on Frito Scoops, cocktail rye bread, and ciabatta crostini so you can decide for yourself what your favorite pairing(s) are. If you come to my house, this luscious, cool, creamy dip will be served with scoops and cocktail rye bread.


My original recipe called for chopping up one large tomato. In this updated version I used cherry tomatoes instead as they have an even better tomato flavor and make for 'meatier' pieces when chopped. Using chopped cherry tomatoes versus a chopped large tomato also helps to ensure the dip doesn't become 'watery'.  In addition to changing the kind of tomato used, I added a thinly sliced green onion (green and white parts), some Kosher salt, and black pepper. The pound of bacon cooked to a slightly crisp level remained unchanged. 


The BLT Dip benefits from several hours of chilling time to allow the flavors to fully develop. However, an overnight chilling time makes for an even more addictively scrumptious dip.

If there was one appetizer you should put on your summer list of must-makes, this BLT Dip should absolutely be on it. It checks ALL the boxes. It's easy to make; it's addictively delicious; and, the list of ingredients won't break the bank and are readily accessible. If you aren't already your friend's favorite host/hostess, this BLT Dip will put you in serious contention for that place of honor.


One last promise. If you make this BLT Dip you will be happy I am a 'saver', 'keeper of things', and 'still have the better part of my memory still in tact'. Happy first week of summer!

Recipe
BLT DIP
Serves 8
Updated July 2022

Ingredients
1 pound (454g) bacon, cooked slightly crispy and coarsely chopped
1 cup (240g) sour cream
1 cup (230g) good quality mayonnaise (see notes)
11 ounces (320g) cherry tomatoes, cut up into pieces (about 28 small cherry tomatoes or 12-14 larger cherry tomatoes)
1-2 green onions, sliced thin, green and white parts
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Fritos Scoops, Cocktail rye bread, or a Baguette, sliced on the diagonal and either grilled or toasted
Optional: Additional cherry tomatoes for dipping

Directions
1. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and sour cream.
2. Add in the chopped bacon, tomatoes, sliced green onion, Kosher salt and black pepper. Mix until well blended.
3. Cover and chill several hours or (preferably) overnight.
4. Serve with Fritos Scoops, cocktail rye bread, and/or homemade crostini.

Note: (1) Any leftovers would be perfect as topping for baked potatoes. (2) Highly recommend using Hellman's or Best Foods Mayonnaise to ensure a luscious, thick dip. Other brands of mayonnaise may not have the same consistency resulting in a dip having a thinner consistency.


Morton Arboretum, Daniel Popper Sculptures (June 2022)