Friday, April 17, 2015

Everything Chicken Puffs


I have a certain amount of skepticism any time I see one of those retro, nostalgic recipes posted on social media. Having succumbed to the belief that nothing can compare to that 'made from scratch' taste, I am often hesitant to make recipes calling for the use of 'pre-made' ingredients. This probably has something to do with having had way too many tuna fish casseroles made with a can of cream of mushroom soup and topped with crushed potato chips in my youth than anything else. Eating too much of anything can sometimes leave lasting, sometimes illogical impressions on one's palate. But after reading through Christina Tosi's new cookbook, Milk Bar Life: Recipes and Stories, I was inspired to revisit what had been my admittedly limiting view of food. Although I still don't think I could ever eat another one of those tuna fish casseroles from my youth again.


Amongst the many of her 'low-brow' not alot of fuss recipes in the book catching my attention was the Chicken Puffs. Most anything made with bread almost always draws me in. When you add cream cheese and chicken, well, all I will say is that you would have to drag me away from trying it.


I took some liberties with her recipe. Including roasted garlic powder into the filling mixture and finishing it with a mixture of spices instead of seasoned bread crumbs. After one bite of a warm Everything Chicken Puff, I wondered where they had been all my life. In looking through hundreds of those community cookbooks over the years, how was it that I had missed this 'vintage' recipe? I don't know how to play bunco, but these Everything Chicken Puffs make me want to learn how and host one. They make me want to have a Mad Men binge watching party. They make me want to have gathering for reason other than to serve them.

One of the best things Sam's Club and Costco offer are their rotisserie chickens. While they cost less than five dollars I don't know if anyone has ever been able to leave buying only a chicken. If I am lucky I can get out of there spending less than a hundred dollars. But in spite of all of the distractions one must deal with as you walk to the back of the store to pick up a chicken, they are really the most meaty and flavorful of all of the rotisserie chickens.


What is not to love about green onions? But feel free to use minced onions or shallots instead.


Ever since having an everything bagel (with cream cheese and lox) a few weeks ago, I was reminded how much flavor sesame seeds, sea salt, poppy seeds and onion flakes can impart on anything bread-like. Christina Tosi's recipe calls for rolling the puffs in seasoned bread crumbs, however, the use of 'everything' spices works even better.


The filling is chopped chicken, softened cream cheese, kosher salt, pepper and some roasted garlic powder. I used the meat from both a chicken breast and chicken leg/thigh. If I wasn't using a rotisserie chicken, I might consider grilling or baking some chicken thighs as I love the flavor of dark meat more than white meat. But honestly, buying a pre-baked chicken is what makes this dish quick and easy to assemble.


Depending on which size crescent rolls used, you will have appetizer or meal sized puffs. In the recipe below, there is enough filling for two tubes of crescent rolls. After dividing the filling evenly on each of the crescent triangles, simply roll them up, pinching the sides to ensure the filling doesn't spill out during baking.

Each of the rolled puffs is dipped into the 'everything' spice mixture and placed on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Note: The puffs can be assembled several hours ahead and refrigerated until ready to bake.


The puffs were baked in a pre-heated 350 degree (F) oven. My baking time (using the grand size crescents) was somewhere between 18-20 minutes. Begin checking on them at the 15 minute mark.

These Everything Chicken Puffs are best when served 'just out of the oven'. They are insanely delicious. You really do have to make them. If you too have been suffering from the preconceived notions that semi-homemade food isn't really good food, let alone great food, these puff might change them. They did for me.
Recipe
Everything Chicken Puffs (inspired by Christina Tosi's recipe in Milk Bar Life: Recipes and Stories)

Ingredients
12 ounces cooked chicken, chopped (light and dark meats)
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup sliced green onions (white and green parts)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon roasted garlic powder (or garlic powder)
2 tubes of refrigerated crescent rolls (regular or giant size)

Topping
4 teaspoons onion flakes
2 teaspoons sea salt
4 teaspoons poppy seeds
4 teaspoons sesame seeds

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Mix chicken, cream cheese, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a medium sized bowl.
3. Unroll crescent rolls, divide into pre-cut triangles. Divide chicken mixture evenly amongst the 16 pieces of dough. 
4. Wrap up dough around chicken, pinching sides to seal seams, and shape into crescents.
5. Dip or roll crescents into topping mixture. Place on baking sheets.
6. Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Serve immediately.
Notes: Use a store-bought roasted chicken. Can be prepared early in the day and baked when ready to serve. Regular size crescent rolls will make appetizer size puffs, while the large/giant sized rolls will create meal portion puffs. If you don't want an 'everything' spice finish, use one cup of seasoned Italian bread crumbs.