Friday, July 23, 2021

Classic Banana Bread


Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would be on a quest to be admitted into the Banana Bread Hall of Fame. But apparently, I am. Because if that wasn't a goal deeply buried in my subconscious, I would probably have to admit to being on a relentless pursuit of creating the Banana Bread Holy Grail recipe. That, or I am extremely persnickety when it comes to Banana Bread. However, I refuse to be pigeon-holed into any of those characterizations as I am a little bit of each of them. 

For the record there are seven, soon to be eight recipes for banana bread now on the blog. Banana Bread (Original Recipe), Banana Bread-Version 2, Banana Bread with Streusel ToppingCocoa Banana BreadCheesecake Banana Bread, Walnut Banana Bread, and Spiced Pecan Banana Bread are all ones I have said were my favorite at one time or another. 


Yes, I know, I am teetering on the brink of having a Banana Bread credibility issue, of telling you little white lies, or of leading you down a banana bread recipe path only to tell you turn around. So, here I am again asking you to trust me when I tell you I think, no I believe, this just might be the only Banana Bread recipe you should be making now and in the foreseeable future. On a scale of 1 to 10, I am going to tell you this version is a 9+. 


If you love a slightly dense in texture, moist but a little bit crunchy on the edges, not too too sweet, having the right amount of banana-ness, and a detectable hint of cinnamon banana bread, then this is the Banana Bread you need in your life. The one you make to impress your friends, to garner all of the attention at a potluck brunch, to enter in the local fair....you get the picture.


Without going full on excel spreadsheet on you comparing all of the existing seven banana bread recipes to this one, I will give you the Reader's Digest version highlighting the myriad of nuances in ingredient amounts. 


Ranging from having the least amount of sugar (3/4 cup), to the most baking powder (one teaspoon), to the most butter (6 Tablespoons). There is only one other recipe using sour cream, only one specifying using up to 1 1/2 cups of mashed ripe bananas, and only one using two cups of flour. Somehow, the ingredient amounts, in what I am calling a Classic Banana Bread recipe, combine to create the most delicious, dreamworthy loaf. 


For the most optimal eating experience, let this Classic Banana Bread rest overnight to allow the flavors to more fully develop. In all honest, I loved this banana bread on day one. But on day two I was deeply, madly, hopelessly, deliriously in love with it. If there was such a thing as a Banana Bread Hall of Fame, this insanely delicious recipe would be the one guaranteeing me entry. Hope I have convinced you make this your go-to Banana Bread loaf.

Recipe
Classic Banana Bread
Makes one delicious 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf
Updated May 2022

Ingredients
2 cups (260g) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon of cinnamon 
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups (about 344g) very ripe bananas, mashed (about 3-4 bananas)
3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar (OR 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar and 1/4 cup (50g) dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
6 Tablespoons (85g) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/4 cup (60g) sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup (75g) walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped (see notes)

Optional, but really good: Sparkling Sugar to sprinkle over the top of bread before baking

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Line a 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" metal loaf with parchment paper (spray pan with canola or vegetable spray or butter before adding in the parchment paper).
2. In a medium sized bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, Kosher salt, and cinnamon. Whisk to combine.
3. In a large bowl whisk together the mashed bananas, sugar, eggs, melted butter, sour cream and vanilla until combined.
4. Add the wet ingredients and walnuts to the dry ingredients. Blend with spatula until just combined. Do not over mix.
5. Transfer the banana bread mixture to the prepared pan. If using, generously sprinkle with sparkling sugar. Place pan on a large baking sheet. Note: Instead of putting the unbaked banana bread into the oven, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours before baking.
6. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with only a few moist crumbs. Note: Rotate pan midway through the baking process.
7. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Allow to rest at least 20 minutes before lifting out of the pan. Return the bread to the cooling rack. Continue to allow the bread to cool for another 20 minutes before slicing into thick slices.
8. Store any leftovers covered. And honestly, this Banana Bread is even better on days two and three. Note: To extend the life of the banana bread, store covered in the refrigerator. Eat chilled or reheat in the microwave.

Notes: (1) I used only 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Because I like a stronger presence of cinnamon in my banana bread I will be increasing the amount to somewhere between 3/4 and 1 teaspoon. (2) To toast the walnuts, place on a baking sheet in a preheated 350 degree (F) oven and bake for 7-8 minutes. Remove from the baking sheet so they can cool down a little more quickly. (3) If you like chocolate in your banana bread, feel free to replace the walnuts with 3/4 to 1 cup miniature chocolate chips. (4) If you like a crunchy top to your banana bread, top with 2-3 Tablespoons of sparkling or sanding sugar.