Friday, October 22, 2021

Honey Granola aka Sheila's Granola


To say that my friend Sheila spoiled me on my recent visit to Little Compton would be an understatement. Upon arriving in the cottage, I first notice the bouquet of hydrangeas (my favorite flower) from her garden on the antique chest in the living room. On the counter in the kitchen were fresh eggs from her chickens, a great bottle of Pinot Noir, a fresh loaf of ciabatta, fresh fruit, a jar of homemade Concord Grape Jam, and bag of homemade granola. In the refrigerator was a whole rotisserie chicken, fresh bagels, English muffins, cream cheese, milk, yogurt, and red velvet cupcakes (another of my favorites). Seriously there was enough food to sustain me for weeks. I would be staying there for only five nights. Having a friend who is both generous and incredibly thoughtful is a priceless, treasured gift. Lucky for me I have some of those friends in my life. And Sheila is one of them. Never mind that we live a thousand miles apart, see each other only once every couple of years, exchange sporadic texts and Christmas presents, and keep up with one another mostly through social media. I feel as close to her today as I did the first time I had met the 'neighbor, quick to become a friend' who lived just over the stone wall of the farmhouse I was living in. And each time I come back to Little Compton to visit, Sheila has the gift of making me simultaneously feel like a pampered guest and member of the family. 

It wasn't until my last full day there did I break open the granola. It was my sustenance as I drove around Cape Cod taking photographs. I had demolished the entire bag by the time I arrive at the airport for my flight home. I really love my Homemade Nutty Granola with Dried Cherries and Cranberries, but I am now completely OBSESSED with this Honey Granola aka Sheila's Granola. There is something rather addictive about it. Which if I think about it, maybe it has something to do with the honey.

Within a day after inhaling the whole bag of granola, I texted her asking for her recipe. Having a friend who is a great cook and one willing share to her recipes is just one of the many reasons why I treasure her friendship. I had every intention of making the Honey Granola aka Sheila's Granola before I left on my trip to Smoky Mountain National Park three days after I returned home, but time got away from me. In retrospect, I am rather glad I didn't make it until I got back home. I may or may not have wanted to share it with anyone. 


When Sheila makes this Honey Granola she makes a large, double batch (she has three teenagers and a husband to feed). I cut her recipe in half as there are only two of us here (below is the halved recipe). However, even with cutting the recipe in half, it makes enough to share (and bags of this granola have already been shipped off to another treasured friend). 


Instead of old-fashioned oats, this recipe uses quick oats. I would have never guessed that. Wheat germ, whole wheat flour, Kosher salt, sliced almonds, light brown sugar, and sweetened flaked coconut are the remaining dry ingredients. Canola oil and a good quality honey are the liquid ingredients binding it all together.

Long, slow, low temperature baking is key to creating this deeply golden, flavorful, crunchy granola. Baked in a preheated 250 degree (F) oven for 2 hours (tossing every thirty minutes), the granola continues to bake in a 300 degree (F) oven for 15-20 minutes or at 250 degrees (F) for an additional 20-30 minutes. Once out of the oven, it's critical to firmly press down the hot granola down with a spatula, meat pounder, or even the bottom of a can and then let it sit for 15-20 minutes (or even up to 30 minutes) in order to create 'chunks' of granola. Note: Not all of the granola will be in chunks and that is exactly as it should be.

I drove through cranberry country while driving on the Cape. Not only did I see a cranberry bog harvest for the first time, I stopped at Makepeace Farms in Wareham, Massachusetts to buy some sweetened dried cranberries and chocolate covered cranberries. I knew when I made this granola I wanted some 'east coast' dried cranberries in it so I could vicariously be transported back to one of my happy places. And if I have could have fit one more thing in my suitcases, backpack, and carry on bag (I don't travel lightly) I would have also brought home some freshly harvested cranberries too. 


Once the granola has cooled for at least 20 minutes and is broken into chunks, you can mix in your dried cranberries. Or dried cherries or a combination of both. Sheila doesn't dried fruit to her granola because her family prefers it plain. I can attest to the fact this Honey Granola is equally delicious and addictive plain or with dried fruit mixed in to it. Once you taste a golden, crunchy, honeyed, nutty homemade granola, you will be too spoiled to ever eat a boxed granola again. And if you ask me, we all deserve to be a little bit spoiled.


The cottage I stayed in is flanked by Sheila's farm. Each morning as I walked to the outdoor shower, there were friendly sheep, a pony that I thought was horse, a goat, and a cow mourning the loss of her calves greeting me. Whether or not Sheila went above and beyond filling the cottage with all of my favorite things because she is just that kind of friend. Or because she knew I would be listening to a cow 'crying' throughout the night, I may never know. Although I really think I do. So, if by chance you are looking to show some love to and spoil your family or friends, make them this Honey Granola aka Sheila's Granola. But don't blame me if you end up creating granola eating monsters!

Recipe
Honey Granola aka Sheila's Granola

Ingredients
1 lb. 2 oz. (510g) Quick 1-Minute Oats (see notes)
3 1/2 ounces (100g) sweetened flaked coconut 
3 1/2 ounces (100g) wheat germ
1 cup (200g) light brown sugar
1 cup (132 g) whole wheat flour
1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
4 ounces (112g) sliced almonds
3/4 cup good quality honey
3/4 cup canola oil
7 3/4 ounces (221g) dried sweetened cranberries (see notes) 

Serving options: Plain, with milk, with yogurt, or over ice cream.

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees (F).
2. In a large bowl, combine the oats, coconut, wheat germ, brown sugar, whole wheat flour, Kosher salt, and almonds. Stir to combine.
3. Add in the honey and canola oil. Stir until well blended. Note: Once you get the mixture started, use your fingers to work in the honey and oil.
4. Pour the mixture out onto a large, rimmed baking sheet.
5. Bake for 2 hours at 250 degrees (F). Turn the mixture over every 30 minutes.
6. Increase the temperature to 300 degrees (F) and continue baking for an additional 15-20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes. Alternately continue baking at 250 degrees (F) for an additional 20-30 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and press mixture down firmly with a spatula or can. Let cool for about 15-20 minutes (could let it cool as along as 30 minutes). Then break up the granola into chunks (it won't all be chunky). 
8. Stir in the dried cranberries or whatever dried fruit(s) you desire.
9. Let the granola cool completely before packaging in cellophane bags or sealed glass containers. The granola will remain fresh for 3-4 weeks, if it lasts that long.

Notes: (1) I used the entire net weight 18 ounce container of the Quaker Oats Quick 1-Minute Oats. The actual oatmeal yield is 1 pound and 2 ounces. (2) You can add in all dried cranberries, all dried cherries or a combination of both. Or you can omit the dried fruit completely if you like. Or you can add more than the amount listed above. (3) I can't stress enough the importance of using a good quality honey when making this granola. (4) To make this granola gluten-free replace the wheat germ with flax seed and replace the whole wheat flour with 1/2 cup almond flour and 1/2 cup buckwheat flour.


Little Compton, Rhode Island, October 2021


East Coast Hydrangea, October, 2021