Sunday, April 14, 2013

Over the Top Rice Krispie Treats


It is spring break here on the east coast, however, no week long break for me. Need the time to try to get caught up on a few projects waiting for my undivided, uninterrupted attention at work. With only one night meeting this week, I should be able to take the short mile and a half drive to the beach and watch the sun setting over the water. Something I have not done since the fall. If the weather is really nice on Friday and I am really, really productive, I might reward myself with a day off. Maybe. Taking in the sunset at the beach might be all the reward I need.

Why I ever took on the project of painting the rooms upstairs in the attic (of this rented farmhouse), I do not know. Well that's not true.  Of course I know. The upstairs would be a perfect space for summer guests. If I couldn't not bear to look at the dark red walls and light blue painted wood floor, I didn't think anyone should have to either.  In spite of not having x-ray vision from the first floor to the attic, just the thought of those clashing colors up there was making me anxious. Whether or not the room is happier now that it has white walls and a deep dark brown wood floor who knows, but at least I am.


As I was painting I remembered the last time I made what I call these ''over the top rice krispie treats" was Labor Day weekend. It was spent with neighbors having an early evening cookout out on the beach. With the kids next door on break from school I thought I would pull myself away from the painting and make a batch for them. I think I just needed an excuse to stop painting for awhile. The treats were a big hit in September, I was hoping they would be equally well-received today.

What makes these rice krispie treats so different is the quantity of ingredients and the resulting thickness of the bar. These are not your familiar rice krispie treats. They look more like something you might buy at a bakery or coffee house. 


You will need a really large, maybe a 10 to 12 quart, heavy bottom pan to make these rice krispie treats. The larger the better as ultimately everything is mixed in this pan.  It all begins with melting the unsalted butter. I can't remember where I found the recipe for these, but I do remember it called for 12 Tablespoons of butter. Depending on how the marshmallow melting process is going, I will sometimes add 1 or 2 additional tablespoons of the unsalted butter.

Yes this recipe takes three pounds of marshmallows.  The marshmallows are added to the melted butter.  Using a sturdy wooden spoon you will be stirring constantly as you do no want to burn the marshmallows.  I generally set the heat in the low to medium range.   


It will take seven to ten minutes for the marshmallows to melt and for the syrup to be created.  Stirring these marshmallows is definitely an upper arm workout.  Make certain you have a strong wooden spoon.

Once everything is melted, the pan is removed from the burner and the rice krispies are added.  I generally add half and make a few quick stirs before adding the rest of them.  The upper arm workout continues for a few minutes more. 


Once you get the rice krispies completed covered you scoop them into a parchment paper lined 13 by 9 inch pan.  You will need to work quickly getting the mixture into the pan.

Lightly butter your hands and press the mixture into the pan. It will completely fill the pan.  You want a nice smooth, flat top for a finished look.  The mixture cools for about 45 minutes to an hour before you can cut them with a serrated knife.  While they are cooling, loosely cover with aluminum foil.


Using parchment makes the removal of the rice krispie treats from the pan so easy.  Remember, use a serrated knife when cutting into squares or rectangles.

The good news when making these rice krispie treats is that you are only left with one pan and one wooden spoon to clean up. Considering the mess I was making with paint today, having only two things to clean up was a blessing.


I had covered half of the pan with multi-colored sprinkles, so that when I cut them up into rectangles and added lollipop sticks in them, they would be a little more 'over the top' for the kids next door.  I am a purist when it comes to eating rice krispie treats so I like mine without the sprinkles.  I would say I like them simple, but then there really isn't anything simple about these 'over the top' two-inch high rice krispie treats.

Recipe 
Over the Top Rice Krispie Treats
Updated January 2023

Ingredients
14 (198g) Tablespoons of salted butter (equals 1 stick and 6 Tablespoons), plus a few more tablespoons to prepare the parchment paper lined pan and to rub on a spatula and your hands when pressing into the pan
3 pounds (1,359g) marshmallows (mini marshmallows melt easier)
18 ounces (510g) crispy rice cereal (recommend Rice Krispies)
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
Optional:  Sprinkles, Melted Chocolate and/or 1 1/2 cups of M&Ms

Directions
1. Line a 13"x 9" non-stick pan with parchment paper.  Lightly butter parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In large heavy bottomed dutch oven, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
3. Add marshmallows and Kosher salt. Cook, stirring constantly approximately for 7 to 10 minutes or until marshmallows have melted into the butter. 
4. Remove from heat and working quickly, add the cereal to the hot mixture, stirring constantly until the cereal is completely covered in the marshmallow butter mixture.
5. Butter a rubber spatula and scrape mixture into the prepared pan.  Butter your fingers and gently press the mixture into an even layer to fill the pan completely. Note: If mixing in M&Ms put half of the rice krispie mixture in the pan and light press down. Then sprinkle a generous half cup of M&Ms evenly that layer. Top with remaining rice krispie mixture and press to smooth the top. Press the remaining half cup or more of M&Ms into the top (if you don't press them in they will fall off when cutting).
6. Let cool.  Use a serrated knife to cut into squares.
7. Store in layers separated by wax or parchment paper in an airtight container. Alternately wrap individually in cellophane bags.

Ingredients to Make Over the Top Rice Krispies for a 9" x 9" pan
7 (99g) Tablespoons of salted butter (equals 1 stick and 6 Tablespoons), plus a few more tablespoons to prepare the parchment paper lined pan and to rub on a spatula and your hands when pressing into the pan
1 1/2 pounds (679g) marshmallows (mini marshmallows melt easier)
9 ounces (255g) crispy rice cereal (recommend Rice Krispies)
1/8teaspoon Kosher salt
Optional:  Sprinkles, Melted Chocolate and/or 1 1/2 cups of M&Ms

Notes: (1) For a festive look top of the rice krispie treats with sprinkles. To make them even more indulgent, dip in melted white/milk chocolate. (2) After cutting, I like to press the cut sides of the rice krispie treats into finely crushed rice krispies as it makes them easier to package. As well as a little less messy to eat.

It is amazing how paint can transform a room. And just how Mother Nature can transform the landscape. Maybe even more amazing is the impact color or colors can have on your senses. I have always loved walls painted in shades of white or cream in order for one's eye to be drawn to the art on the walls, the rugs on the floor, the collections on the shelves, or the furnishings. When planting or arranging flowers, my favorite garden landscape or bouquet is one dominated by shades of a single color. The effect is almost mesmerizing.

I learned what monochromatic meant from a friend who was a florist.  Whenever I ordered a bouquet for someone or just went into her shop to purchase some flowers for myself, I was drawn to arrangements dominated by shades of a single color. When ordering I would ask for a mixture of flowers in either all shades of white, shades of purple, shades of red or shades of orange. One day she said, 'you like monochromatic arrangements, so do I'.  I knew then this person was a kindred spirit and would become a friend. I learned much about flowers, about antiques, about setting a table, and about friendship from her.  But most importantly I learned that when I was with her I never needed to explain or apologize for liking the things I did or for having monochromatic tendencies. There are no greater gifts a friend can give you than accepting you for who you are and for enjoying all of the differences you bring to the world, to them.  Even if you can be a little 'over the top' sometimes.