Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Chocolate Whoppers

When you hear the phrase 'death by chocolate' are you someone who becomes giddy at the prospect of learning of a chocolate concoction that just might come close to the 'too much' end of the chocolate dessert eating continuum?  If you are on this giddy end of this continuum, I think I have just the cookie for you. And for those of you who don't often venture into the intense chocolate end of the continuum, maybe you would consider giving yourself permission to go there, just this once. Just to feel the experience of what this end of the chocolate continuum tastes like.


The first Maida Haetter cookbook I purchased was the "Book of Great American Desserts". It published way back in 1985 (frightening to think I have been buying cookbooks for almost 30 years). I had read about her in one of my cooking magazine so, of course, I had to get her book. Although everyone was singing her culinary praises, the cookbook cover (a photographic array of beautifully made desserts) was the visual nudge I needed to buy it (and to this day I still buy some books based on their covers). But once I opened the book, there were no photos, only pencil drawings. Imagine a cookbook without photos! But then again, cookbooks thirty years ago didn't contain the beautiful photos they do today (how spoiled we/I have become).


So without photos next to each recipe, it was a cookbook where you had to use your imagination to figure out what the dessert would look like or you had to, in the spirit of 'where's Waldo', search to see if what you wanted to make was on the cover.  I honestly can't remember if her recipe for Chocolate Whoppers was on the cover, but it was after looking at the list of ingredients and reading her description, I could almost taste this cookie. What would not be compelling about a cookie rich with chocolate, loaded with nuts, and containing very little flour. It didn't take me long to learn that Maida Haetter was, and still is, a gifted creator and writer of recipes.

So what exactly is a 'whopper'?  The best description for this insanely delicious confection is that it is a cross between a cookie and a brownie, shiny on the outside yet moist and nutty on the inside, incredibly chocolately, and definitely worthy of fitting into the 'death by chocolate' category.



Not all chocolate used in a recipe yields the same results.  I promise you will never be disappointed when using a better quality chocolate for this cookie recipe or for any baked good recipe. Although I will have to say, the readily accessible Baker's chocolate (both the unsweetened and semi-sweet) works well with this cookie recipe. I never seem to have success with melting chocolate in the microwave so I always melt my chocolate on the stove in a glass bowl over a pan of steaming water. While it might take a little longer at least I feel in control of the outcome (if you detect subtle issues of control in my personality, you would be perceptive).

I didn't believe that lightly toasting nuts made a difference as it just seemed like one more step to take. So one day just for the heck of it, I decided to just do a little taste test comparing a raw nut with a lightly toasted nut.  The difference was more than subtle for walnuts, pecans and macadamias.  From that point on, if a recipe called for lightly toasting the nuts before combining with the rest of the ingredients, I found that the additional step and time was well worth the effort. This recipe calls for 2 cups of nuts. You can use all walnuts, all pecans or a combination of both. I went with the all walnuts this time. Because I had a bag of chopped nuts, I toasted them in a 350 degree oven for about 7 minutes and then let them cool.


Over the years I have tweaked this recipe, slightly increasing both the flour and baking powder and reducing the oven temperature (down from 350 to 325 degrees). The flour is first sifted and then measured. Once measured, the flour, baking powder and Kosher salt are sifted again and set aside.


In the bowl of a standing mixer with a whisk attachment, the room temperature (large) eggs, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, 2 teaspoons of instant espresso powder and 3/4 cup of sugar are all added. At high speed these ingredients are mixed until well blended (approximately 1 to 2 minutes).


The slightly cooled melted chocolate is then added to the batter. Once mixed in, the dry ingredients are added. At this point, I generally remove the mixing bowl and stir in the flour with a whisk until blended. Too much blending is not necessarily a good thing here. 


Using a spatula, the 2 cups of toasted nuts and 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips are folded in.


Whoever invented the ice cream scoop could not have known how versatile this invention would become. For me it's a must have when making cookies and even cupcakes. I used a 2 1/4 inch ice cream scoop (equivalent to somewhere between a quarter and a third of a cup of cookie dough) to measure out the cookies. If using this sized ice cream scoop, you should be able to place 6 cookies per sheet (spaced about 2 inches apart). 


The cookies are baked at 325 degrees for 12-14 minutes. (If you use a smaller ice cream scoop, your baking time will be reduced to 10-12 minutes.) The cookies will be shiny, slightly cracked on the outside, yet still moist on the inside. Be careful not to over bake them.  The baked cookies should be transferred from the baking sheet to a cooling rack.


This is one rich, decadent cookie, where just one can satisfy your need for, craving of, or obsession with chocolate.  It is substantial in terms of its taste and in its size (unless of course, you make them a little smaller and then two will be just enough to satisfy your craving for chocolate.)  Served with a tall glass of milk, I promise your concept of milk and cookies will never be the same.

Recipe
Chocolate Whoppers (inspired by Maida Haetter's Chocolate Whoppers recipe)
Makes about 15-16 cookies 

Ingredients
6 ounces of semisweet chocolate (coarsely chopped) (Recommend Scharffenberger Semi-sweet chocolate, but if not available, use Baker's)
2 ounces of unsweetened chocolate (coarsely chopped) (Recommend using Baker's)
6 Tablespoons of unsalted butter
1/3 cups (sifted before measuring) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
2 teaspoons instant espresso powder 
2 large eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup (150g) sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (equivalent to 1 cup) (I used Ghiradelli chocolate chips)
2 cups toasted and coarsely chopped nuts (walnuts or a combination of pecans and walnuts)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees (F). Line several baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Place the coarsely chopped semi-sweet and unsweetened chocolate and butter into a bowl placed on top of simmering water until melted. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
3. Sift the dry ingredients (pre-sifted flour, salt and baking powder) and set aside.
4. Beat eggs, espresso, vanilla and sugar at high speed until light and fluffy (approximately 1 to 2 minutes).
5. Add the melted chocolate and whisk slowly to blend.
6. Add the dry ingredients until incorporated.  Be careful to not over mix.
7. Stir in chocolate chips and toasted nuts.
8. Using a 1/3 cup ice cream scoop, measure dough and drop onto prepared baking sheet (about 5 to 6 cookies per baking sheet set about 2 inches apart)
9. Place baking sheet in upper and middle racks of the oven and bake for approximately 12 to 14 minutes or until the top of the cookies are dry and shiny. 
10. Remove cookies and place on a cooling rack.


I recently discovered the book Daring Greatly by Brene Brown. Reading it has led me to engage in a great deal of reflecting about myself and the relationships (both the functional and dysfunctional ones) in my life in the last few weeks. Recently I shared with a friend I wished I had read this book ten years ago (only it would not have been available) as it contains some valuable insights and should I dare say much food for thought? I am of the belief that books (like people) come into your life for a reason and it is possible I would not have appreciated this book (had it been available) years ago as much as I am appreciating it now. The themes of resiliency, vulnerability, trust, perfectionism, scarcity and 'good enough' are some that spoke to me (loudest). Beyond these themes, the book also reaffirmed for me the importance the role communication has in the nurturing relationships/friendships. Ongoing, open, and honest communication almost always creates the opportunity for two people to be fully present, fully engaged with one another while simultaneously aiding in adding the metaphorical marbles to the jar.

On some level, I think this book is giving me both the voice and strength I need to begin to make some choices, not only in what I value in (and what I need to change about) myself, but in understanding what it really is that I value in (and want from) others.

There is quote in Brene Brown's book, that for me, captures the definition of connection perfectly. She defines connection 'as the energy that exists between people when they feel seen, heard, and valued; when they can give and receive without judgment; and when they derive sustenance and strength from the relationship". When people come into your life and you feel this connection, it is beyond energizing, it is life changing, life enhancing.  And if they disengage, well this too is life changing. So of all of the takeaways from this book (and there were many of them), was the reminder to not let anyone, including myself, ever make you feel not 'good enough'.