Sunday, June 16, 2013

Tomato Crostini with Whipped Feta

Summer means fresh tomatoes, a reprieve from those winter and spring tomatoes. You know the ones that no matter how much money you spend on them never seem to have the fresh flavor of summer tomatoes. Tomatoes in the summer means bruschetta, tomato sandwiches on white bread with mayonnaise and salt, tomato and mozzarella salad and now adding to the list Tomato Crostini with Whipped Feta. This takes a bruschetta recipe to a completely new level. Not only is this one of the most beautiful appetizers I have made of late, it is over the top, wicked good.  


The combination of flavors in this crostini range from the creaminess of the lemon infused whipped feta, to the perfectly marinated tomatoes, to the freshness of basil, to the crunch of the toasted baguette. It is the whole package of tastes and textures. I first found this recipe in one of Oprah's magazines (contributed by one of my favorite cooks) and then it appeared in her latest cookbook. Yes, this would be yet another one of Ina Garten's recipes. I promise the next recipe posted will not be one created by Ina. But you will thank me for posting this one.



Buy the best whole feta you can find as it will make a difference.  The feta is crumbled and placed in the food processor along with two ounces of room temperature cream cheese.  They are mixed together until blended.


I read all sorts of cooking magazines that talk about the next big 'secret' ingredient. Well the timelines secret ingredient is freshly squeezed lemon juice. I now always have a bag of lemons in my refrigerator and they never go to waste. 



The extra-virgin oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper are added to the cheeses and blended in the food processor until smooth. The whipped feta mixture can be made earlier in the and stored in the refrigerator.


I used a mixture of miniature heirloom and grape tomatoes for this recipe.  After first slicing the tomatoes, I cut them into bite-sized pieces. The minced shallots, minced garlic, red wine vinegar, salt and vinegar are mixed into the tomatoes.  This mixture can marinate up to an hour but for at least 5 minutes as you want the vinegar to be absorbed into the tomatoes.


Before assembling, 1/3 cup of extra-virgin olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper are whisked together and poured over the tomatoes. Ina's recipe called for the use of 1 teaspoon of salt but I thought that too much.  However, if it is not salty enough for you, feel free to add the additional 1/2 teaspoon. Another herb in abundance in the summer is basil. Is it not amazing what freshly chopped or julienned basil can do to most any recipe?



The thinner the baguette you can find the better as you want your slices to be no more than 2 to 2 1/2 inches wide. After slicing the baguette on the diagonal, you brush lightly with extra-virgin olive oil and bake at 425 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly toasted. Allow them to come to room temperature before assembling the crostini.

A generous amount of the whipped feta mixture is spread on the crostini. Using a slotted spoon, the tomato mixture is placed on top. The feta mixture prevents the bread from getting soggy, so these hold up well. Whatever leftover olive oil and vinegar you have from the tomato mixture, by all means dip in some fresh french bread for an added treat.


Recipe
Tomato Crostini with Whipped Feta (slight adaptation of Ina Garten's recipe appearing in Foolproof)

Ingredients
6 ounces good feta, crumbled
2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 Tablespoons minced shallots
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
2 Tablespoons good red wine vinegar
2 pounds of ripe heirloom, cherry or grape tomatoes chopped (can use a mixture of all three kinds of tomatoes)
3 Tablespoons fresh basil leaves julienned
20-25 (1/3 to 1/2 inch thick) diagonally sliced baguette, toasted
Optional: toasted pine nuts
Kosher salt and pepper

Directions
1. Place crumbled feta and cream cheese in food processor and blend until cheese are mixed.
2. Add 1/3 cup of extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and process until smooth. Remove from food processor, scoop into a bowl and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
3. Up to an hour before serving, combine chopped tomatoes, minced shallots, minced garlic and red-wine vinegar (allow to marinate up to 5 minutes if serving immediately).
4. Whisk the remaining 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. 
5. Pour over tomatoes and gently stir.
6. Add the julienned basil.
7. Place bread slices lightly brushed with olive oil in a 425 degree oven and bake for 6 to 8 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool on cooling rack.
8. Generously spread whipped feta on each baguette. Using a slotted spoon, top each baguette with tomatoes.
9. Sprinkle on extra julienned basil.  Optional: Top with toasted pine nuts.


The first day of summer has not yet arrived but the days already seem to be getting longer. I can actually see the light of day before 5 am and it remains until well after 8 pm. Actually I am not sure whether it is the light that wakes me up in the morning or the rooster next door. Regardless of which one opens my eyes, I love when I can see a blue sky. And better yet, I love to see the emergence of large white, pillowy clouds otherwise known as cumulous clouds. Somehow the whiteness of these clouds makes a blue sky seem like it is taking on an even deeper shade of blue.

I have always wondered where the phrase 'feeling blue' came from as the color blue is one that makes me happy. Particularly if I am looking upward at an incredibly blue sky. To add to this, blue just happens to be one of my favorite colors and I could not imagine myself choosing a sad color to love (I do not remember any art teacher ever telling me that blue is a dark color, so to speak.) When I see art that contains blue, I am drawn to it; when I see blue hydrangeas my heart skips a beat; and, when I see antique flow blue platters I wonder if those who made them loved going to work everyday creating and working with the color blue. I have taken endless photos of blue skies in Colorado and here on the east coast. It seems I remain on a quest to capture as many images and shades of blue as possible. I don't think I shall ever tire of photographing blue skies or the blue of the ocean. So today I am feeling blue, but a very happy blue. Whoever gave blue a bad name never saw the blues I have seen.