Thursday, October 31, 2013

Apple Pie Cream Martini, A Special Halloween Treat

Who says Halloween is just for kids? And as much as I love to indulge myself in my favorite Halloween treats (Oreo cookies and M&M's), this year's holiday called for a martini. Of course, not in replacement for the treats, but in addition to them. I am thinking that the martini might slightly moderate my desire for the Halloween sweets.

This was a martini that almost wasn't. When a friend shared she had a great new martini recipe she inadvertently shared one wrong ingredient. And this one wrong ingredient made for one wrong martini.    Actually I wondered if this recipe was intended to be a trick rather than a treat. When she asked how I liked it, I said 'well, you are two for three on the martini recipe recommendations'. While it was receiving rave reviews from everyone she had made it for, she couldn't believe I wasn't a fan. As we talked about the taste of the martini, she realized she had inadvertently given me the wrong recipe.


After making this martini the first time, I have to be honest and say I wasn't sure I wanted to make 'another' one, even with knowing what the correct ingredients were. But since I believe in second chances, I thought what the heck. What's the worse thing that could happen if I didn't like it? Well I could never try another martini recipe shared by this friend or I could throw it down the drain. Either way, the risk factor really wasn't too high. So this time rather than tasting a trick, I tasted a treat. I finally understood why she was so excited to share the recipe in the first place and why it was one worthy of rave reviews.

This could not be a more simple martini to make as it only has two ingredients. For those of you who are martini purists, it might have one ingredient too many. It is one of those martinis you might only be able to enjoy in the fall as the Apple Pie Cream Liqueur would be considered a seasonal item. I understand this liqueur is hard to find on the east coast, but here in the midwest it was front and center in Binny's, one of my favorite spirit stores.


In a shaker filled with ice, you add 2 parts of the Apple Pie Cream Liqueur and 1 part McGillicuddy's Raw Vanilla vodka. To ensure the creaminess of the martini, shake the martini vigorously for as long as it takes you to shake it fifty times. Pour into the martini glass of your choice and enjoy before, during or long after Halloween. Or for as long as your bottle of the Apple Cream Liqueur lasts.


Recipe 
Apple Pie Cream Martini

Ingredients
2 parts Fulton's Harvest Apple Pie Cream Liqueur
1 part Dr. McGillicuddy's Raw Vanilla vodka or the Vanilla Vodka of your choice
Ice

Directions
1. Pour the apple pie cream liquor and vodka into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
2. Shake vigorously (up to 50 shakes to ensure it is well blended).
3. Pour into the martini glass of your choice.