Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Spiced Pumpkin Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

It seems like forever since I have posted to the blog. Time as we know is all relative so today's definition of forever is a little more than three weeks. So why the interruption? Well, packing up the east coast farmhouse and relocating back to the Midwest would be the simple answer to that question. The thousand mile drive back to the Midwest is now behind me, however, the unpacking is (ugh) still before me. The good news is that I have made enough progress unpacking and reorganizing that I am now able to get back to cooking and baking. Not surprisingly, putting away all of my cooking and baking tools took precedence over the unpacking of my clothes. But even though there is still some unpacking to do, I am happy to say "the blog is ba-a-ack"!


There are so many things I love about the fall I wouldn't even know where to begin to list them all. But amongst those things are the cooler temperatures as they are perfect for baking. With Halloween a day away and Thanksgiving just weeks away, I thought I would 're-christen' the Midwest kitchen by baking something using, what else, but pumpkin puree. The pumpkin pie recipe could wait a few weeks but the Spiced Pumpkin Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting could not. Because who does not love cake? Particularly one having a cream cheese frosting. If you are one of those non-cake loving people, maybe it's because you have never eaten really good cake. Because seriously, what other reason could there be?


I knew I wanted to make a pumpkin cake that didn't taste like a pumpkin loaf made into a cake. So when I discovered the Spiced Pumpkin Cake recipe and looked at the list of ingredients, I knew this was the one. In addition to pumpkin puree, it had crushed pineapple, coconut and dried currants in it. In some ways you might say this is a pumpkin version of either a Hummingbird or a Carrot Cake. An easier and simpler version as you don't need a mixer to make the cake, you only need it when making the frosting. And who doesn't like easy and simple when making a cake? Particularly when the outcome makes everyone think it was just the opposite!

All of the dry ingredients are sifted together and set aside in a medium sized bowl. This will be the bowl you will mix the batter in so choose your bowl size wisely.

In a separate bowl or large measuring cup, the oil and vanilla are mixed in with the already lightly beaten eggs. Once mixed it is set aside as well.


In the third bowl (okay, maybe using a mixer would be easier as now you have at least three bowls to wash), the pumpkin puree, coconut, pineapple and currants are mixed together until combined. The recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups of pumpkin puree which is slightly less than the puree in a 15 ounce can. Remember to buy the pumpkin puree and not the pumpkin pie filling for this recipe as they are not the same and not interchangeable.


To the flour mixture, you first add the egg mixture blending with a wooden spoon until just combined. Last but not least, you add the combined pumpkin mixture and stir until just combined. It is important to not over mix this cake batter.


In two prepared 9 inch cake pans you will equally divide the spiced pumpkin cake batter. Because I like my layers to be perfectly even I weigh the filled cake pans on a scale. The payout for this attention to detail comes not only when you are assembling and frosting the cake, but when you are serving it.


The cakes bake for 35 to 40 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven. The baking time for me was 40 minutes, but I began testing at 35 minutes. The baked cakes are placed on a wire rack and allowed to cool or come to room temperature. 


While the cakes are cooling you can assemble the frosting. Sixteen ounces of room temperature cream cheese are whipped in a standing mixer for approximately three minutes or until smooth. The room temperature butter is added and the mixed for at least two minutes. The sifted confectionary sugar (this is a step you don't want to skip or else you will have lumps in your frosting) and vanilla and added in. The entire mixture is beaten for another three minutes or until smooth. The frosting can be covered and refrigerated until you are ready to use.



In the event that you do not refrigerate your frosting, you will need to refrigerate the first frosted layer so it will set up. This frosting is very creamy and the refrigeration ensures that it will not come spilling out when the second layer is placed on top. I refrigerated the first frosted layer for about 30 minutes. Note: Half of the frosting is used for the middle layer and the other half for the top layer.


I like using a pastry bag when frosting a cake, but depending on the look you are going for an offset spatula will work too. Because the layers of the cake are such a beautiful color I didn't frost the sides of the cake. Once frosted the cake is returned to the refrigerator. Remove the cake from the refrigerator at least 30 to 40 minutes before serving.

Recipe
Spiced Pumpkin Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting (slight adaptation to the Spiced Pumpkin Cake recipe created by Diane Morgan in 'The New Thanksgiving Table')

Ingredients
Cake
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons Saigon cinnamon
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
1 cup canola (or vegetable oil)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4 cups canned unsweetened pumpkin puree
1 cup lightly packed sweetened flaked coconut
3/4 cup canned crushed pineapple (undrained)
1/3 cup dried currants

Frosting
16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cups confectionary sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Prepare two 9 inch cake pans (lined with parchment paper and lightly buttered/floured).
2. In a medium sized bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and cloves. Mix in granulated sugar. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, oil and vanilla. Set aside.
4. Combine pumpkin puree, coconut, crushed pineapple and currants. Set aside.
5. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir using a wooden spoon until just combined.
6. Add the pumpkin mixture and stir using a wooden spoon until combined.
7. Equally divide batter between the two 9 inch cake pans.
8. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
9. Allow cakes to cool on a wire rack until cool to the touch.
10. To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese on medium speed in a mixer using a paddle attachment for approximately 3 minutes or until smooth. Add butter and beat for at least 2 minutes until combined. Beat in confectionary sugar and vanilla for approximately 3 minutes or until fluffy. Frosting can be chilled while you are waiting for the cakes to cool.
11. Spread half of the frosting on the first layer of the cake using a pastry bag or offset spatula. Refrigerate cake for approximately 20 minutes to set the frosting.
12. Top with second layer of cake with remaining frosting using either a pastry bag or offset spatula. Return cake to refrigerator to set the frosting.
13. Remove from refrigerator 30 to 40 minutes before serving. 


I had wondered why packing and unpacking can be such hard work, but after giving it some thought I came up with a theory. When packing up, most of us pack pretty much everything instead of deciding which things could be given away, sold, donated or throw away. So when the unpacking process occurs we wonder why we didn't give away, sell, donate or throw away more things. Okay for those of us with thing attachments the packing/unpacking process is hard work, but for those of you who are at the other end of the continuum packing is probably a piece of cake! 

The reacclimation process to the midwest kitchen has been enlightening (or should I say a little disheartening) in so far as I realized I could probably equip not one, not two but three kitchens. It would be an understatement to say I have accumulated too many cooking and baking tools, too many dishes and too much glassware. I mean how many cupcake pans, mixers, rolling pins, measuring spoons, measuring cups, baking pans, cake pans, plates, and glasses does one really need? I could blame Martha Stewart for the influence she has had on me, but that wouldn't be fair to her or me. I guess I decided at some point I needed the things I have. Because when unpacking and reorganizing I painfully realized there were some things I had too many of and some things I should have just thrown away when I had the chance. Because wherever I live, I seem to create a rather large carbon footprint. The good news is it is never too late to change. Now that I have had this epiphany (step one in the change process), I am pretty sure I know what I need to do next. More specifically I know what I don't need to do (i.e., shop). Can hardly for the spring yard sale!