Thursday, July 21, 2016

Seasoned Pretzels


My rather overactive imagination is currently failing me. For some reason I thought reading Summit, an incredibly well written book with Mt. Everest as the part of the backdrop, I could somehow transport my body from this oppressively hot midwestern weather to a much cooler climate. Sort of like the whole mind over matter concept. I know that sounds like a bit of slightly delusional thinking. But consider this. If a book has the power to take one's mind to unexplored places and/or one's heart to feeling a book's full range of emotions, shouldn't it be possible for one's body to vicariously feel the setting? Like the 50 something degree temperatures (F) in Lhasa, Tibet this week? I only wish our imaginations were that powerful. Because if they were, while envisioning what the 'not enough words' to fully capture the views at the summit of Mt. Everest might actually be, along with allowing my heart to race with feelings of exhilaration and angst, I would want my body to feel the frigid climbing season weather. Momentarily, of course. Or at least just long enough to give me some relief from this 'when will it end' heatmagedon. 


I haven't been able to bring myself to turn on the oven this week even though the person who shall remain nameless is home for a few days. Fortunately there was some leftover Peach Cobbler in the refrigerator (it reheated beautifully in the microwave) and some Cowboy Cookies in the freezer (perfect for ice cream sandwiches) to satisfy his sweet tooth. So while the list of absolutely have to make recipes requiring an oven grows longer by the day, I will 'uncharacteristically' wait for slightly cooler temperatures to return before I try them. Yes, the house is air-conditioned, but the humidity in the outside air seems to creep in each time I open any of the outside doors.  

In yet another one of my usual self departures, I discovered one of those less than six ingredients, needs no baking, quick and easy, made entirely of packaged/bottle ingredient recipes. I actually tasted a version of these Seasoned Pretzels while on my short Michigan vacation with my sister and her family. While sitting on the beach, my brother-in-law's sister came over and asked if we wanted any pretzels. Craving salt, I took a small handful. I got much more than the expected taste of salty pretzel. At first I couldn't discern all of the flavors of the pretzels, so of course, I had to have another handful. This time one slightly larger than the first. These slightly addictive pretzels were salty, buttery, mildly garlic-y, and bursting with an array of seasonings.


As soon as I came home I started doing a recipe search for them. While there were some ingredient variations, the ones having a package of Hidden Valley Ranch Mix, garlic powder, and onion powder were most appealing. As a disclaimer, these may not be the healthiest pretzels to pass your lips. Due in large part to the twelve ounce bottle of Orville Reddenbacher's Popping and Topping. But they are definitely some of the most flavorful, destined to be habit forming pretzels you will eat!

The amount of pretzels recommended in the myriad of recipes I came across ranged from two to three pounds. I went with two and a half pounds. But next time would use only two and a quarter pounds to ensure all of the pretzels are equally well seasoned. I also used only 2 teaspoons of garlic powder and would keep that amount even if slightly reducing the amount of pretzels. 

Making these pretzels in one of those jumbo (2 to 3 gallon sized) ziplocking baggies is almost a necessity. In addition to keeping the pretzels fresh, they not only make the process of gently tossing (or flipping) the pretzels in the mixture easier, the liquid from the buttery topping has a greater chance of becoming equally absorbed. 

If you are looking for the perfect party snack to serve in the summer (or year round), especially one taking minimal effort, these Seasoned Pretzels might be the hit of your next gathering. Oh, did I tell you they pair perfectly with ice cold beer? And unless you live in a cool climate, have access to a pool or a body of water, that might be a good way to cool off! No imagination required.

Recipe
Seasoned Pretzels (inspired by multiple sources)

Ingredients
2 - 2 1/2 pounds pretzels (recommend using a combination of pretzel shapes of similar size) 
12 ounce bottle of Buttery Flavor Popcorn Oil (recommend Orville Reddenbacher's Popping and Topping)
1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch Mix 
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 - 3 teaspoons garlic powder (I used 2 teaspoons)
Jumbo ziplock baggies
Serving suggestion: Your favorite ice cold beer.

Directions
1. In a jumbo sized ziplock bag, add pretzels.
2. Pour in Buttery Flavor Popcorn Oil. Seal bag and gently shake.
3. Carefully reopen ziplock bag and pour in Hidden Valley Ranch Mix, onion powder, and garlic powder. Reseal and gently shake to distribute dry ingredients.
4. Lag bag flat in a cool place. Turn every 60-90 minutes for the first 8 hours. Turn/toss every so often after that or until all of the oil is absorbed (approximately 20-24 hours).
5. Transfer seasoned pretzels to a clean ziplock bag.
6. Serve and savor. 

Notes: The smaller sized pretzel rings and waffle shapes work well. Next time would make with no more than 2 1/4 pounds of pretzels to ensure all of the pretzels are equally well seasoned. Make these pretzels a day in advance to ensure all of the buttery topping is fully absorbed. Surprisingly these Seasoned Pretzels are not all wet or greasy.