Monday, December 8, 2014

Chocolate Caramel Fudge


I lost more than an hour of my life this past weekend hunting for the cross-stitched Christmas stockings had many, many years ago. In this what seemed like a lifetime of insanity I looked through the same drawers, cupboards, and cabinets again and again as if the stockings would suddenly and magically reappear. The person who shall remain nameless assured me they were not in the attic which was plausible as they have never been stored there. However, I was on a mission to find them. After several trips up into the abyss of the attic opening the multiple containers I thought maybe they could have been stored in, I came down empty handed. Waking up in the middle of night I decided I would go up in the attic one more time (to say I was obsessed in finding them would be a bit of an understatement). Just as I was about to give up the attic search I noticed a bag next to one of the Christmas trees. My first inclination was nothing of real sentimental or monetary value would be (or rather should be) stored in 'a bag', but then thought well 'maybe I should look in there just in case'. Alas, there they were. Relieved I had found them I could climb down the attic stairs, go back to bed and finally get some sleep. As elated as I was at finding the stockings, I thought it best to wait until morning (when I was again sane) to call the person who assured me the stockings were not in attic.

There seems to be a looking for something theme going on in my life as of late. For awhile now I have been wanting to make some fudge for the holidays so I have been on the hunt for a 'new' recipe. The fudge recipe I had made in the past is really good, just not great. Upon coming across a recipe for Chocolate Irish Cream Candies, I had a really strong feeling I might have found the 'great' I was looking for (without going insane in the process). What is not to love about a candy described as a cross between a caramel and fudge made with Irish cream liqueur and chocolate?


The recipe calls for nine ounces of bittersweet chocolate (at least 70% cocoa). I had recently bought some Scharffen Berger chocolate and decided it would be the perfect chocolate for this 'fudge'. Sold in 9.7 ounce blocks, I couldn't see saving .7 ounces for another use so I chopped all of it up. Sometimes more is better.

This was the fudge that almost wasn't as the pan I choose wasn't really large enough. As the mixture expands significantly while cooking, it momentarily looked like I was going to have a literal hot mess rather than pan of creamy, rich chocolately fudge. Stirring it constantly was the only thing keeping the mixture from overflowing. So the next time I make this fudge (and there will be next time) I will not be using my 'not large enough' copper pot but one of my larger cast iron pots.


The cooked caramel like mixture rests for five minutes before the finely chopped chocolate is stirred in. Once the chocolate is fully incorporated, the mixture is poured into a parchment paper lined nine inch pan and immediately sprinkled with sea salt.


When completely cooled the fudge is cut into one inch squares and wrapped in squares of parchment paper.


This fudge has a perfect creamy texture. The Irish cream liqueur compliments but does not overpower the flavor of the bittersweet chocolate.


The sprinkle of fine sea salt over the top of the fudge is the quintessential finishing touch. And while this may technically not be a fudge, it has both its' look and texture.

As I was wrapping these intoxicating bites of goodness, I couldn't wait to see and hear the reactions of everyone who tasted them. Validation can be a really good thing.

If you too have been searching for a 'great' fudge recipe, one with undertones of a caramel flavor, look no further because today is your lucky day. And it will be a lucky Christmas if the someone who shall remain nameless finds these in their Christmas stocking. That is, if they can find their stocking when they get home.
Recipe
Chocolate Caramel Fudge (inspired by Yossy Arefi's Chocolate Irish Cream Candies recipe)

Ingredients
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup Irish Cream liqueur (recommend Bailey's)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups golden syrup (recommend Lyle's) or can use light corn syrup
1 teaspoon kosher salt
9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (recommend Scharffen Berger and used the entire 9.7 ounces bar)
Flaky sea salt for finishing

Directions
1. Line a 9"x 9" pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a large, heavy bottomed pan, combine the whipping cream, Irish cream liqueur, granulated sugar, golden syrup, and salt. Bring to a boil, cooking until mixture reaches 250 degrees (F) on a candy thermometer.
3. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in chopped chocolate and pour into prepared pan. Immediately sprinkle with sea salt.
5. Allow to cool completely. Cut into 1 inch squares and wrap in squares of parchment paper or cellphone (recommend using a thinner brown parchment paper for wrapping).
6. Store in an airtight container.