Sunday, December 14, 2014

Peppermint Bark


There are moments when the adage 'less is more' is one I can see myself fully embracing. Often these moments are short-lived, however, the older I get or the more I overextend myself, the longer they seem to linger. The fact that these moments are even occurring at all is nothing short of a miracle. You know, those kind of miracles you might wish and hope for, all the while remaining guardedly optimistic they will actually occur. Then you watch "Miracle on the 34th Street" for the millionth time and no matter how old you are, you can't help but believe miracles really do, really can happen. All you have to do is just believe, to just have faith.

Taking advantage of believing there is something to be said for simplicity, I decided to finally make Peppermint Bark, one with only two layers of chocolate (remember I am trying to stay in the less is more moment for as long as possible). 


As I was making the bark I began to wonder why I had never made it before. I could not come up with any rational reason why Peppermint Bark wasn't one of those annually made confections. However, now having made it, there will never ever again be another holiday where Peppermint Bark is not packaged up for gifts or not appearing on the cookie/candy platter at gatherings.


Recently I had taken a cooking class in New Orleans, learning and watching how both pralines and bread pudding were made. Of the many takeaways from this class there are some things where exactness is critical and other things where almost anything goes. Peppermint Bark falls more into 'where anything goes' category. How much chocolate you use or which peppermint candies you use is more about preference. My preferences are semi-sweet and white chocolates and crushed (red) candy canes, but Peppermint Bark can be made with only one kind of chocolate or with crushed starlight mints. How much peppermint extract is used in the chocolate (I put it in the semi-sweet chocolate) isn't an exact science, however, there is such a thing as 'too much' when using this intensely flavored extract. After looking at a variety of recipes, I decided to use a 1/2 teaspoon of extract to one pound of chocolate ratio. Note: The melted semi-sweet chocolate seized a little when I added the extract, however, I kept stirring until the chocolate returned to its's smooth consistency.


When I was buying candy canes for the Peppermint Bark I went back and forth on deciding whether to use either red or green ones or to use both red and green candy canes. Obviously I had too much time on my hands that day to have spent time standing in the grocery store aisle debating the merits of red and green candy canes. Use whatever color or colors make you happy. Just crush your peppermint candy before you begin melting the chocolates.


After melting a pound of semi-sweet chocolate flavored with 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract, I spread it out on a piece of parchment paper and allowed it to set before melting the white chocolate. I used 1 1/4 pounds of white chocolate for no other reason than to give the crushed candy canes a deeper surface to set in.

Once the white chocolate is poured over the cooled, set semi-sweet chocolate, you need to work quickly to spread it. While still 'wet' generously sprinkle with the crushed candies.


The Peppermint Bark sets up relatively quickly. You can speed up the process by placing it in the refrigerator or in a very cool place (the back patio table is my favorite winter outdoor chilling place).

Using either a knife or other sharp tool (I used a dough scraper), cut the Peppermint Bark into any size or any shape. It be cut in random or perfect sizes/shapes. As momentarily difficult as it was to make the red or green candy decision, I knew I wanted this Peppermint Bark to be cut haphazardly (there is much beauty in imperfection). Note: If you cut your pieces too small you risk having the semi-sweet chocolate layer separate from the white chocolate layer. 

The pieces of Peppermint Bark can be stored in a sealed tin at room temperature until ready to serve or packaged up in cellophane bags tied with ribbon or string for gifts. It may be rather bold, but I dare say I think this Peppermint Bark may be better than the bark sold at one of my favorite 'shall remain nameless' stores. 
Recipe
Peppermint Bark

Ingredients
1 pound semi-sweet chocolate, melted (use the best semi-sweet chocolate you can find, do not use the chocolate chips you buy to make cookies)
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 1/4 pounds white chocolate, melted (use the best white chocolate you can find, do not use the chocolate chips you buy to make cookies)
10-12 candy canes, crushed

Directions
1. Line a large baking sheet or cutting board with parchment paper.
2. Melt semi-sweet chocolate in the microwave or over simmering water. When melted, stir in peppermint extract. Note: Mixture may initially seize up, but stir vigorously to return chocolate to smooth consistency.
3. Pour chocolate onto parchment paper and smooth into a 14"x16" rectangle. Allow to cool.
4. Melt white chocolate in the microwave or over simmering water. Pour over semi-sweet chocolate. Working quickly spread white chocolate with an off-set spatula, completely covering the semi-sweet chocolate.
5. Immediately sprinkle the crushed candy canes on the 'wet' white chocolate. Allow to cool completely.
6. When chocolate has cooled and is set, cut bark up into pieces. Note: Use a sharp knife or sharp dough scraper to cut the bark.
7. Wrap in cellophane bags tied tightly with a ribbon/string or store in an airtight container.


"We wander for distraction. We travel for fulfillment." New Orleans is a city I have visited many times over the past ten years. But no matter how many times I have been somewhere, life experiences and interests have me seeing it through a different lens. A place becomes simultaneously both familiar and new.  When taking a short trip to a city one is familiar with, it is easy to get lulled into going to the same places you have been before. But on this recent trip with a friend, I wanted the experience of both the familiar and unfamiliar. Eating dinner at Bayona, having freshly shucked oysters at Acme Oyster House, and having beignets at Cafe du Monde were on the 'must do' familiar list. Going to a Gospel concert at St. Louis Cathedral was also on this list, only the concert scheduled during our stay turned out to be a French/Belgian folk/jazz concert featuring Helen Gillet, an incredibly talented cellist, singer and composer who grew up in both Europe and the US. It has now been several days since the concert, but the hauntingly beautiful music is still resonating in my head, in my soul. 

Instead of seeing parts of the Garden District from only the vantage point of the trolley, on this trip we walked up and down several streets to experience its' beauty and grandeur up close. Before heading over to the shops on Magazine street we spent most of our time on Prytania Street, one of the most beautiful streets I have ever walked. In keeping with a theme of trying to capture as much of the culture New Orleans has to offer, we went to the New Orleans Museum of Art, a place I had been before, however, we spent the majority our time there walking through the unfamiliar to me, magnificent Sydney and Walda Besthoff Sculpture Garden on a glorious weather day. With a backdrop of live oaks hanging with Spanish Moss along with the Pine and Magnolia trees, I could have spent the entire day in that sculpture garden. Next time.